Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbies - Your first couple of weeks on Spine-Health

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
edited 08/11/2012 - 12:56 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
As with anything new, there is an adjustment period that you need to go through just so you can become familiarized with a setup and know how to navigate around.
Same applies to new members joining Spine-Health.

I wanted to take out a little time to go over some of the actions newbies can take as well as some pitfalls

- You basically are a Newbie until your 25th or so post.
- Spineys is the word that identifies members here with spinal problems.
- Banned. When a member violates rules there are no longer allow on this site.

- Read the Forums FAQ. A good number of banned members come as a result of that new person not reading the FAQs. All online forum groups make it required to read the agreement. Here on Spine-Health we expect you to, but we are not enforcing an "I agree" button at this time. The assumption is that we are all adults and are here to learn and not to cause problems.

- Read a number of Posts before you make your first post. There is definitely a 'lingo' you will soon adopt. Most of them are medical terms for diagnostic testing (ie MRI, EMG, CT Scan) and medical conditions (ie Herniated Disc, Spondy Level I or II, Sciatica, Degenerative Disc Disease, Spinal Stenosis. Then there are the medical treatments (ie Spinal Injections, Ultrasound, Tens Unit, ACDF, Fusion, etc. Do not worry if you can not grasp all of these right away. It takes time to learn about this. We have different glossary setup in the forum categories that could help you with this.

- When you are ready to make your first post and you have your topic, use the Search facility to see if other members have already started discussions on that topic. I can not tell you how many duplicate posts there are with SCS, ESI, and DDD.

- Try not to get caught up with the latest buzz words. For instance, the past two months here, SCS has been probably the most posted topic on site. Its even gotten to the point, where it is clear that some members when posting about it, have no clue what it is. Others are looking for that for treatment the moment they have back pain.

- Pain Levels. This is always a tough one. The current Pain scale that is accepted in the Medical field leaves a lot to be desired, but for now it is the only measuring tool we have. Some people think if they say their pain level is 9 or 10, they will get more attention.... Quite the opposite, because seasoned spiney's fully understand that once a person reaches pain levels that high, they are no longer able to care for themselves and should be in the ER. We had one member about 9 months ago that indicated (he/she) had pain levels of 10 everyday and some higher. Yet that same person was on the computer all day making posts. Someone questioned them and their response well I cant walk, I cant drive, I can use pen and pencil, I can sit up, I cant, I cant and more Ican't How they used the computer is beyond me.

- Last and very important if you have any questions contact any member of the Moderator or the Authority Team.

Neck of Steel

I like to view the roles of our moderators and authority teams as being teachers here. I do not want them to spend a lot of time policing various problem areas

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com