Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How fragile is your neck after three level?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Anyone know how fragile the neck is three weeks post op after three disc removal and four vertebra fusion? With a plate and eight screws?

I keep waking up jerking my neck violently when I sleep with my collar. My fiancé watched one night to see what I was talking about and I yelped and then jerked up and it scared him. I am scared I am going to break my neck.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

• you dont want to jerk the neck. youve just had surgery and you want it to heal. sometimes a certain combination of drugs can cause the jerking. for me it was dilaudid and lorazaphan.
    one time i jerked so much i fell off the couch!...keep the brace on at night and discuss problem with dr. try to dream some good dreams...lol...pete
  • i would say pretty fragile!! i had a level 2 done 9 months ago. im back to normal from what i was before. i dont do the things i used to do.amusement park rides, water slides,four wheeling fast etc etc. but i can still do normal things just dont do them fast, just do things nice and easy!!
  • Thank you for writing. In the future will I be able to ride roller coasters? Or is that a permanent no? Water skiing? Snow Skiing?

I am only on one pain drug, Percocet. That's it. I don't take it very often, maybe once a day if that.

I am very clostrophobic however, so that's where I think that is coming from. My doc said to keep it on (Aspen Collar) as long as I can and if I really can't to take it off when I am sleeping, but he would prefer I didn't.

He took a two week x-ray last week and it was already fusing, which he was shocked.

But I don't want to jerk as hard as I have been I am afraid I will break the fusion.

Any ideas? Blessings. and thanks> Jas
  • Hi Jasmine,
    Three weeks after the fusion your neck is still very fragile. You should really try to keep the collar on for at least three months until plenty of new bone can grow in there. If it whips around too much and pulls any of the screws out......you may need another surgery. So be careful.

As for the long term, after the fusion is well fused with plenty of bone growth making everything solid you can probably do most activities, like roller coasters and such. But too much of stuff like that puts the level above the fusion and the level below the fusion at risk for damage. Because they compensate for the lack of motion at the fused levels, and three levels is a large fusion segment which will put a lot of stress on the adjacent levels.

With all of that said, talk to your surgeon, he is the one that knows what was done and knows what your x-rays look like.

Good Luck
  • Thank you so much for giving me hope. Blessings. Jas
  • on water skiing. i'll bet some kind of brace would work when waterskiing. that way when you hit the water your neck would stay straight,,,ask a dr who waterskis....if he doesnt waterski he doesnt know forces envolved...