Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Waterskiing and running

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I was told that I could water ski and run after six months and probably run after six weeks.

Now I am reading that may not be possible.

I had fusion in neck 4-7 with disc removal three and four level fusion, a metal thing with eight screws.

And swimming I love it. Are all these things out now? So much of my life has been taken away these past 17 years because of the woman who was reckless and without insurance, including my ability to have children.

I just want my life somewhat back.
advertisement

Comments

• believe me i understand your anger with the accident and i'm awfully sorry what youve experienced.
    i had 3 level fusion and i too like swimming. i think theres a big difference between waterskiing and swimming. i swam 3 months after surgery and i used a snorkel so i could keep neck straight
    as for waterskiing there is a tremendous amount of torque on your neck when you fall and hit the water. if it was me i'd wait at least 9 months
  • I love water skiing-did it for 15 years-can understand how much you want to ski again.Ask your doc-was told that hitting the water and taking a "header" would possibly ruin my neck.I quess my neck is more important to me than the skiing-I gave it up.If you have ever fallen and taken a "header" you realize the way it snaps back your neck.You must be feeling great to even be considering that kind of thing this quickly-so you have a great attitude.Just ask your doc before any of that kind of sport.Good Luck
  • I used to love water-skiing!!!! However, I'd be afraid to now, because of those "headers", I used to have some doozies, but mostly because of my own stupidity (ie showing-off LOL). That, and I certainly don't miss the resulting wedgies!!! :))(
    As for running and swimming and other activities, defintitely discuss with your doctor first. I was told that I could go ahead and try to do different things, and if it hurt, wait a while before trying again, but not to give up!!!
    Good luck, and I do hope you're able to get back to doing what you were able to do before, but don't be upset if you aren't able, you just have to find that substitute or a different way of doing them!!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own