Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post L5 S1 laminectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 5 months post L5/S1 laminectomy and I still have back and left leg pain. I have been going to PT for the last two months and was making progress, but I was involved in an accident where the car rear ended me at 45mph. Since then my back has been getting worse and my left and right leg pain increasing. Even before the accident I was experiencing decreased range of motion, pain when I bend forward,burning sensation in my lower back. I had another MRI and my Dr stated I have bulging at L5, which is normal after surgery, and bulging disk at L4 and sever arthritis. I think by 5 months I should be back to my normal self, but I'm not.

• So sorry to hear you are still having pain. I had a laminectomy/discectomy L4/L5 Aug 12 2009 and I am still having some leg and hip pain, not so much back pain as before surgery(thank goodness), my surgeon had told me before surgery "I can't make you normal again but I can make you better". Even though we did not have a fusion, this surg. is still a magor back surg. which also takes a while to heal,hopefully that is what is going on in your case ..you are still healing. I wish you lots of luck and hopefully one day become free of back pain!!!
  • Hi, My Doctor wants to perform an L5 S1 lamectomy w/o fusion. I have sciatica in 1 leg but its spreading to the other. I have spondylolisthesis and stenosis. I was hit on the left side of my body with a large object. 3 days after accident I developed the sciatica. Its been over 1 year since this happend; Seems like sciatica is worse and spreading.I had never had back or leg pain in my life. Should I have this sugery done or what? Can you guys give me your thoughts on this?