Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My recent fusion and Type A personality!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Boy, this is tough! I had L5/S1 surgery 9 days ago. Doing relatively good, I think. Walked 6 blocks (3 each way) today. Pain is nicely controlled with percocet and finally have my pooping not such a problem.

But jeez, it's so damn hard to do nothing, see stuff around my house that isn't gonna get done if I don't do it (everyone is so busy that, bless them, helping me is about all they have extra time to do! Not to mention a 7 person business I own and run...I have a large flower/vegetable garden (thank God it's all on drip) and I loved so much to cook.

But hey, we all seem to have a form of this problem, right? What I haven't totally figured out yet is, is there anything I CAN do?????

• Hi Elise :)))

You're doing fantastically well being able to walk 6 blocks today !

As FRUSTRATING as it is, do try and let the housework go, otherwise you could hurt yourself. This happened to a friend of mine and she had to have a repair done. Her family thought she would be fine after a few weeks, but not so.

Do you like music? I particularly like Andre Rieu and watch his concert DVDs over and over again. Then there's lots of TV series - shows you may have watched several years ago and it would be good to watch them again. What's your weather like now? Spring has just started here in Australia and starting to warm up, and I like to sit out the back where I have a big rose garden and read or just watch the birds and let the sunshine soak in. Can you relax in your garden?

It's so hard to relax after being so busy with work and home, but your body needs to heal so that you can become active again in time. When I was working and had time off for operations, it drove me nuts learning to take it easy, but I did it.

Take care

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I agree with Trish that it sounds like you are getting around very well!

I don't know that I have any great words of wisdom to impart or any great ideas to keep you from going crazy from boredom, but I do understand what you are feeling. You can only do so much TV channel changing and web surfing! Watching the dust build up is excrutiating for me. It's hard not to do housework that I have always been meticulous about - my husband caught me using my reacher/grabber and a damp sponge to wipe off the baseboards last week. He didn't know whether to fuss at me or laugh at my OCD (obsessive cleaning disease:).

The beautiful weather here in Maryland this past weekend was torture! I wanted so badly to be working in my garden. I would normally be out riding our motorcycle on these gorgeous days too. I sent my husband out for a ride by himself - how big of me right? Once he left I had a little pity party and then made sure I found my happy face before he got back.

What we need to keep in mind is the bigger picture. Stick with the program - no BLT and keep on walking. We have a long term recovery before we reach our ultimate goal of returning to the activities we love. Hang in there!

• I am a type A personality too. I am head for a 360 fusion next tuesday and boy I could just have an aniexity attack just thinking about my house going to the dogs! LOL! I will have to just keep my bedroom door closed and not look when I leave my bedroom. You ask what you could do? Pray- Pray that God sends you an angel to rest upon your shoulder for a speedy recovery! Good luck to you- wishing you the very very best today!

• I've been there and know how frustrating it can be. I think I actually had a harder time on "limited bed rest" when I was pregnant!
    However, there is a reason you need to limit your activities for now, so you can heal properly.
    What I have learned these last few years is that the vacuuming, dusting, etc. can wait. It will get done.
    This summer really taught me this lesson because on top of my back and neck problems I had Lyme disease.
    For about 6 weeks I was pretty much "useless" (in my opinion). Now the antibiotics are done, I'm starting to feel more like myself and the kids and dog are OK, the house is still standing, etc.
    We need to cut ourselves some slack and first take care of ourselves. And remember, if you wait long enough the pet hair will turn into mini tumblweeds and its easier to pick up with your grabber!!