Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hip pain, pain down leg into foot and little toe after L2 fracture

spinaltapsspinaltap Posts: 50
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have searched through the internet daily hoping to find answers on this one. I go back to my dr next week for my monthly x-ray. I'm 4 months out on an L2 burst/compression fracture due to a car wreck. I have complained of severe pain in my right hip since the accident but these pains down into my foot are rarely new. I thought maybe it was sciatica since I do still have swelling in the bone and the fracture hasn't healed, but everything I have loked at about sciatica shows a different path (not into the little toe). Pain is worse when walking but aches constantly. Anyone else have these pains? If so, is it a nerve issue or a muscle issue?

• from what i understand at L2 the spinal cord branches out into all the roots that go down lower in your legs so if you are injured there the swelling is pressing on the s1 nerve that goes to little toe. a neuro surgeon once answered a question as to what was causing my pain by saying it could be coming from anywhere!!!
  • http://www.backpain-guide.com/Chapter_Fig_folders/Ch06_Path_Folder/Ch06_Images/06-4 Radiculopathy.jpg

That chart shows where radiculopathy would be felt when certain dics are involved. Your hip pain is clearly radiculopathy. Anything in other regions is most likely caused from inflammation from the area.

I have a T12-L1 herniation and L1-L2 bulge. I have lost sensation and have nerve pain in my abdomen, hips, groin, and I have severe shooting pain that will travel from my hip down to the side of my knee and ankle and sometimes toes. I know it's not fun.
  • JoyyyJJoyyy Posts: 1
    edited 03/09/2014 - 1:55 AM
    I had a partial discectomy at L5-S1 a year ago. Now I am experiencing sharp pain in the outer toes of my right foot. The pain had not been constant (it only seemed to arise after prolonged sitting), but now I can barely walk on that foot. I foolishly did a few hours of yard cleanup yesterday .... I have to travel next week and need some relief before I depart.