Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

as any body had bone

treadyttready Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi had my pre op yesterday everything went ok 1 to 6 weeks wait now. My question is this as any 1 had bone taken of there hip. the reason im asking is i orignaly was told by my surgon he was going to put screws in from back and a cage from front. but hes changed is mind he said he wonts to take bone from my hip and do the fusion from back. but he said taking bone hurts more than the fusion and now im worring about that every time i think of him cutting bone of my hip i feel sick and carnt help but think of that film the bone collector were he carves that bone out the guys leg. sounds silly but im propa worrid can any 1 reasuer me please thanks.

• it hurt but not terrible...pain killers got most of the pain...really not anything to worry bout. the sciatic pain is much worse than the hip bone being cut...he must figure it will work better so go for it...pete
  • thanks pete thats made me feel a bit better as i no what sciatic pain is like iv now got an idea what to excpect
  • I'm surprised your surgeon told you the hip graft would hurt more than the fusion. Usually they pass it off as being "no big deal." It is supposed to be the "gold standard" for fusion, so your doctor feels he is doing the best thing for you.

I did not have that as my doc used BMP with my own ground-up bone from the laminectomy. But many people who have had it didn't think it was much of a problem. You'll be in sufficient pain from the fusion that it will just be one more little thing to deal with. They will keep you well-medicated, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Sometimes, depending on what level you are having fused, the surgeon does not have to make a separate incision. He can harvest what he needs through the same incision that he makes for the fusion.

from Spine-Health: "Autograft is considered the gold standard for achieving a solid spine fusion because it has all of the characteristics necessary for a solid bridge of bone to grow: it provides the spinal fusion with a calcium scaffolding for the new bone to grow on (conduction), and; it contains bone-growing cells (osteoblasts) and bone-growing proteins (bone morphogenic proteins) to foster new bone growth in the patient.
    There are two main advantages of autograft:
    Greater chance of fusion success vs. allograft (cadaver bone) and some types of bone graft substitutes
    No risk of disease transmission (vs. using cadaver bone)"
  • When i had my fusions they used my rib. They took out a rib and cut that up into little match sticks size pieces. something like that, Didn't feel a thing.
  • the doctor failed to mention that little detail. I did find the graft to be more painful than the stomach wound (I had ALIF), but I was kept well medicated and the graft quickly settled down, now two weeks later, it hardly hurts at all.

Hope that helps.
  • I had fusion with bone taken from the hip. I barely noticed it, the other incision bothered me much more.
    Once in a while I'll get a pinching pain where the bone was taken (fusion was in 2003) usually when weather changes.
  • I had cervical surgery back in Feb.09,
    My surgeon asked me if I smoked and told me If I did he would HAVE to take bone from my hip. Since I didn't smoke he said he could use my hip bone or cadaver.I choose cadaver because of other issues..
    About 8 years ago my sister had cervical surgery and the surgeon said she had to quit smoking that day or he would have to use hip bone and he didn't want to do that..but he would... She had 1 cig on way home.(that was the last cig for her.)-(I was with her that day)She has not smoked since. She quit on her own with no patches or pills..One week before her surgery I took her back to surgeon for her for post OP.visit. they did the blood work and tests they do for post OP. And then did A test that would show if she was still smoking or not. She got the clear to have cadaver.
    Many surgeons are different and some are better at doing things in a different way.
    I know if my surgeon would of told me he would prefer to use my hip or rib I would of said okay because I would want to have my surgeon doing what he felt good with doing.
    (does that sound right?)(maybe not..)
    I had one hard time finding a surgeon that would take me on..so I couldn't be choosy. Then again I'm glad now that the surgeons before him where honest and kept sending me elsewhere and didn't try fixing something that they were not sure how to or have experience in fixing.
    Wishing you the best..
    Hugs to all..patsy

just my experiences, that's all
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    I put aside my own blood.
    and for the ACDF's , I used my own bone (hip chip)
    Basically because I wanted everything MINE

There are always complications. On my second ACDF, I developed Osteomyelitis in my hip and went home with a Pict line in my arm and on antibiotics 3xday for 3 months... Wasnt much fun, but if I was to do it again (no, its not happening) I will still go the same route.
    Maybe I am just old fashion.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • thanks for all your replys folks it helps
  • But they took some of my bone marrow from my hip and mixed it with BMP to spackle around my dowels of cadaver bone that they put in the disc spaces. The spot in my hip was pretty painful. If you can get away with the surgery being done all from the back, I say go for it. I have the nastiest scar from the center of my pubic bone all the way up to the bottom of my left rib cage and it is not only extremely ugly, it is painful. Lord forbid I should need to cough or sneeze, and this is ten months post-op! Nothing about this surgery is wonderful. Sure the bone graft site will hurt, but your pain meds will help a lot.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Told me up front my hip would hurt worse than the back surgery.And that was no lie. But I found the pain in the hip distracted me from the pain in the back and sudsided in about two weeks. Also, that can use cadaver bone. Ask about that when you see him again. It could be an option.
    Good luck on your surgery!