Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had my first bad sciatic experience last night

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I had my first BAD experience with sciatic symptoms last night - scared the heck out of me too.

Note, I haven't been having any problems for a while now, no pain, occasional numbness, always in my big toe.

Last night after a workout I was lying in bed, on my side, pillow between my legs, when my foot got warm, then hot, then tingling, then the heat and tingling burned up my leg and into my pelvis and finally my lower back. I sat up immediately and PooF! instantly the sensation was all gone. So I flipped over to the other side and didn't have any other problems.

I wasn't expecting the pain and tingling to vanish to suddenly so I'm wondering if my sciatic symptoms might be caused by my screwed up SI joint. Cause my Sacro-illiac joint hurts bad this morning, and my leg is partially numb and warm this morning.

• i had big toe trouble and was told thats from L5 nerve root. what did you do in your workout to agrevate it?
  • All I do in my "workout" is walk.

I walk about 1 1/2 miles a day to try to shed the weight and also try to exercise and strengthen the back and pelvic muscles.

That's what surprises me, it was so out of the blue.

But what about the instant cessation of pain? It was light flicking a switch it went away so fast.
  • just a little pressure on the nerve root. a certain position puts more pressure on it. dont push it too much. hopefully it will just go away...keep taking advil to reduce the irritation even if theres no pain....
  • I think it is safe to assume that the sciatic pain was caused by one of your injuries. It definitely could be the SI joint. You probably repositioned your body in such a way that it briefly put pressure on the sciatic nerve which runs under and through this area. It was probably briefly compressed, which caused the nerve sensation that you experienced.

You might try putting a cold pack over the top of the SI joints/buttocks area if you have any more pain. Also, when it happens, you can lie flat on the floor with your knees bent, feet flat on floor, arms close to your sides with palms facing upward. (neutral pelvis position). Just lie there and breathe deeply from the belly for about five minutes.
  • I'll give that a try. I do ice after every evening walk, although lately it hasn't been a problem, I still do it.

One thing I have discovered is that I can't lay on my back - it puts far too much pressure on the curve of my spine and makes it very uncomfortable. Fetal is the only thing that works for me.

As a side, how would you go about arranging your bed so that your body won't tend to want to roll over on your stomach? I ALWAYS slept on my belly, but now of course it aggrevates my back. Just this one change may greatly improve my situation while I still have a chance to improve it.
  • You're probably right about this. When I saw my MRI, the tech mentioned that I BARELY had a bulge and the doc squinted and proclaimed it was probably kissing the nerve.

Shows the relevant pics. To me a photo goes a long way toward easing my mind - I can't understand why more physicians don't see this.
  • There are several things to try...all involving massive amounts of pillows -- or go to a big box store and get an inexpensive "body pillow." To keep from rolling over, you can to two things -- you can actually tie a pillow around your waist in such a way that it keeps you on your side. (They sell contraptions for this purpose, but you can accomplish the same thing with a bed pillow and a belt, bungee cord, etc.) It will keep you from rolling onto your back if placed properly.

#2 involves packing pillows in front and behind you. If you are a restless sleeper, it can take some getting used to. The idea of the pillows is to wedge yourself tightly enough that you do not roll.

You can take a long body pillow and kind of cuddle up to it -- Lie on your side with the pillow in front of you, arms wrapped around it. You can even throw the top leg over it.

If you absolutely cannot fall asleep on your side, the other thing you could do is sleep on your stomach but put a pillow under your "belt" area so it supports the natural curve of the spine. Your spine will be slightly curved in the middle area which should be comfy for you.

Hope one of these ideas helps.

• ...Just so you know, sleep on your stomach with your head turned for any length of time is horrible for your cervical spine.