Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

so much stress..cant sleep

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Water Cooler
hey guys and girls... I know I can't be the only one in thie predicament, but I just can't deal with this anymore.

When I met my wife I was making double her salary, great job with a global company and had everything together.... Fast forward 3 years, she is making a very good salary, I am unemployed and been on more job interviews in the past 2 years then I can count. Most of the time I get "overqualified" or some other reason. On top of my experience I have 2 degree's in economics and marketing...

On top of that my back is now a severe problem that will probably require surgery, and I am itching and breaking out in hives all the time. I just don't know how to cope with this anymore. What really kills me is the reverse racism going on in the US now adays. Roles I have applied for, have been filled with women and minorities (friends in the company) and I just heard the latest statistic that of all people laid off during this recesion 80% are men.

I just feel like giving up, putting on my paper cap and saying "may I take your order please"... it seems like now adays if your a white male with a good education and a vast amount of experience, its all your qualified for now.

sorry just venting, so stressed I don't even know what to do.

• First of all.... Take a benedryl.
    The rest I think with the times we're in now
    is hard for everyone and you shouldn't take it personally.
    And being over qualified sounds like a good thing.
    Be grateful for your eduation, you could have none and be one in pain
    and have ONLY the choice of a paper hat or hard labor.
    Don't put the paper hat on yet, hang in there.
    Always think good things come to those who wait.
    Good luck!!!
  • Ladies - don't listen for a minute.

M - It's a guy thing to have it bother us, when we are not rowing our side of the boat. We feel like we are not contributing, or our spouse can have some expectations, based on thier perceptions of the present job market. If that is bothering you- find programs in your city that focus on that. Keep your comunication with your spouse going. Go out for a date-night - at least every 2 weeks.

Next - consider this - trade the boat - for a canoe, and consider for the moment, that your spouse is paddleing for a bit, you have time to rest and plan -"WHAT's NEXT!" Figure that out and keep going. Research what is going on with companies in your area, and focus your resumee toward solving a few of the problems that they have and you can fix! Be a team player as well. Read - a book a week - grab them from the library to keep costs down and get your mind thinking!

And - plan for finding a job, just like you are working. Since most of us work for 40-60 hours, do the same with your job-hunting, as much as you are able with your back.

And do something for yourself, every day! Something that is special to you. I know it is hard, cause when your in this predicament, you sometimes feel like you don't deserve anything. That fact is that looking after yourself now, will ensure that you can help when needed.

I wont say - good luck - Good Planning! and then follow through!
  • I would suggest that you go on-line to drphil.com. He did a segment on this very thing yesterday. He gave some very good advice and information.

• What I found worked for me, was to do volunteer work. I used to think that was for people who were just bored, but it's a real and very necessary thing. By doing so, you start to get established, make new contacts and feel like you are accomplishing something. Employers look at things like that. If they see that you don't "sit around" while you are unemployed, they look at you as being a self motivator. I have gotten jobs and other job offers by doing volunteer work.

• doing volunteer work is a good idea. they did a segment on that here with the news or something my husband was watching. They also said to get out there and actually get the application and turn it back in. If your behind a computer that might be all they think you do but if your there and they can see you they can actually put a face to the application.
    As for being overqualified i would think a company would want this they wouldnt have to worry things.