Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Guessing Game

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hey, I just joined this forum because I'm in a situation where I need some help. First of all, I'm 19 years old and I don't have health insurance (can't afford it). So that poses a problem with going to the doctor.

For the past 4 or so days, my back has been feeling really tense. When I cracked my back, I recorded videos of myself doing it because it was just an intense cracking...except I never really felt better after doing it. A couple days later, my back started feeling a bit worse, but now it's towards the middle of my spinal area.

When I touch my chin to my chest, I feel the pain mostly towards the middle and maybe upper portion of my spine. Without moving my spine or whatever, it's still kind of painful.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I also, for a brief moment, had some pain in my right portion of the neck when I turned my head right, but when I turned my head left or even tilted my head left, it didn't hurt at all.

So I apologize if I'm breaking any rules or anything like that. If this is the wrong forum, please move it to the right one.

I'm not trying to self-diagnose myself- I'll never really know what the problem is until I go to a doctor, but I'm experiencing pain and discomfort, and I gotta try something to see if it works.

I'd appreciate your help very much.

- Brandon


  • Usually in a situation like that, I would try using moist heat on the area to loosen up the muscles and some sort of anti-inflammatory med to work on any inflammation that might have developed.

    What I have found, is that the first thing that docs will try, is to get the inflammation "knocked down", usually with at least a 2 week stint of anti-inflammatory medicine. If I try that first, before going to the doc, then I save myself another couple of weeks of suffering while they try to do the same thing.

    As you said, nothing can replace having a doc evaluate you, but you can at least try and make things calm down. So rest is also a good thing. In other words, try not to do anything that sets it off.

    Welcome to Spine Health. There are a lot of good people here and you should also be able to find a lot of good information in the peer reviewed articles written by the docs as well as the search function of the forums.


  • Anti inflammatories is the way to go. Like Advil or anything over the counter. BUT if you notice you are still having problems after taking it easy for 10 - 14 days, the pain increases, or if you notice any parts becoming tingly/numb, then you should likely have someone look at it.

    Emergency room (E/R) treatment may be an option. I do believe that a hospital is not allowed to turn you away just because you cannot pay or don't have insurance.

    Another option to E/R: do you live in a state that has the state-run or charity hospitals? They usually are affiliated with clinics for low income or uninsured patients. Usually they will bill you based on income. And, you could become established as a patient, paying as you go and getting the help you need.

    Good luck! Hope things work out for you!
Sign In or Register to comment.