Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Collar Duration

AaronCAAaronC Posts: 41
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Having ACDF on C5-7 in two weeks. Curious about recovery time and how long people stayed in their Miami collar.

Saw two surgeons. One said 2 weeks with the collar another said 4. A friend who had ACDF on same levels as myself never wore a collar at all.

Your thoughts are appreciated as I am trying to plan for post-op as best I can.

• two more weeks. you must be looking forward to getting some relief. hope all goes well.
    different drs have different thoughts on the brace. i had one for a month...just do what your dr orders...pete
  • I had mine on for four weeks. I was glad that I had it because even though it isn't the most comfortable think to wear, it's reassuring to know that my neck was stabilized and supported.

After that, it was a soft collar for eight weeks.

Make sure you have some replacement pads for your collar because it can get really hot and if you're like me, you'll be sweating a lot. So it's nice to have clean, dry ones to put on when you want to. My doc gave me my replacement pads before I left the hospital.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions or want to talk. I know what you're going through and I hope your surgery helps you as much as it did me.
  • Different surgeons have different reasons for ordering collars be it soft or hard. On my last fusion used a Miami j for 12 weeks. The reason for the length was there was a stability issue and issues placing the hardware from a frominatomy(not to much bone to attach to). So do as your surgeon suggest, he/she knows the reason he/she is ordering it. I have to say my miami J was welcome relief. I still have it today and I am allowed to sleep in it still a year out. i try to stay away from it but some nights it is the best medicine for my on going issues. As cath said make sure you get the extra set of pads. The miami j will wear down and throwing them in the machine will get them back up to form so you don't wear down the cushion and as cath said for hygiene as well.
  • Hi - I had a 3 level acdf and have to wear the hard collar 24/7 for 2 months. After the two months, I am supposed to wean myself from the collar by wearing it one hour less each day. My doctor didn't mention wearing a soft collar afterwards, so hopefully I'll be totally collar-less by the end of October.

Good luck with your surgery! Mine went really well even though I was very scared. This forum was priceless when it came to helpful information and support!