Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone on hydromorphone?

4jkasper44jkasper Posts: 231
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Pain Medications
I was on oxycodone and it started to lose its affect so my Doctor switched me over to Hydromorphone. I seems to be working alittle better so far. I still hate being on all of these meds, the best I feel is when I take my meds together which is hydromorphone, soma, and neurotin, I have the least amount of pain at this time but the down fall is that at this point I can't drive or do anything unless someone else takes me because I know I shouldn't drive while on on of this together...
Some day I will have the money to do the SCS trial, this is what my Doctor would like me to try but right now I can't affors to as it will be atleast $2000 out of pocket up front.
Well, I was just wondering how the hydromorphone was doing for other people.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    About six months ago my doctor switched me to
    Opana ER and Opana for breakthrough. I am off the ER and just use the Opana 5mg, now gladly only 2 pills a day....
    Like you, I am also using Neurontin and Soma.

I have found that Opana was a bit more successful than Oxycodone IR for breakthrough... Didnt notice much difference in the ER versions.

Sometimes, I just think I needed a switch.....
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • just to clarify hydromorphone is not Opana, it's dilaudid. Opana is oxymorphone..

Hydromorphone works pretty well for my breakthrough pain. Cheers

• Hi,
    I was on Dilaudid for quite some time, then had to change Neurologist, and he thought it was terrible I was taking it. I told him it was helping me tremendously, that I had a small stroke 8 years ago in the thalamus and as a result was left with a pain condition called "thalamic pain syndrome", for which there is no cure, it's just constant pain, down my left side, face, arm, hand, fingers, and that it had helped my pain syndrome some also.

I have been taking Neurontin since my stroke and now take Zanaflex for tightness/pain in my left arm, and Hydromorphone more for my lower back. I've had lower back problems for over 10 years, however, the pain has just increased over the years until I can't stand it anymore without ice packs on my back, we hardly ever go out because I'm in such pain, and now I have leg problems and walk with a limp. Heck, I didn't do that after my stroke!

I have 2 bulging disks with annular tears, osteoporosis and Scoliosis, and have had a few things done, (discogram, facet injections, SNRI, Sacroiliac Injections, Epidurals), but they are afraid to do surgery because of the stroke. I had a hemorrhagic stroke and they fear the lose of blood.

The new physician changed my medication to Opana, oh, I felt awful, it gave me diahrrea and made me so sick, like the flu, so he changed that to Opana ER, and it did the same thing and when I told him, he said, that's all he could give me, he said I had tried everything, I had only had him 5 months and told him sometimes, it depended on other meds I was taking at the time and perhaps something might help me. He said No, the Opana was the best!! It made me sick, he didn't care. He was just an a**hole....

He was nothing like the Neurologist nor the pain management doctor I had.

So, after carefully thinking things over, but knowing I was doing the right thing, I knew I had to contact the neurologist I had for over 15 years who had retired, so I picked up the phone and called him and his wife who is a doll, made us an appointment for the next day. She said, "honey you come in here and talk to the Dr., you don't need this". So, I went back to the neurologist I had before, seems he only thought he had retired (lol). I told him what had been going on and he really got upset. He had referred me to that doctor and specifically told him not to change my meds, that I was doing alright, so he was steaming. He said, "If it ain't broke, why fix it? (lol).

He told my husband and I he was seeing a few patients he had before that were having problems, only a few, and for me to call this doctor's office and tell them to get my records ready and I would be over to get them, he said don't give them any reason, just tell them you want it....

Also, seems a school nurse got fired from her job because this same neurologist had done her the same way he did me, in that he changed her medication and she was so sick, she couldn't work (last year). The Dr. said she was a good person, a good nurse and if this doctor would have just left her on the meds she was taking, she would have been fine, but he caused her to lose her job. I'm not sure what it was, but she had problems with a new medication also and he would not try anything else on her either, so she is back with the semi-retired Dr. also.

He said he knew and understood that some doctors fear the DEA and these government officials, and he understands you have to be very careful who you prescribe meds to, but as long as you know your patients and you should know them, he said, as a doctor he can tell right away. He just sees no reason why people in pain should have to suffer. This is the doctor who referred me to him and he called and talked to him about us, told him a little about us so he would know we were decent human beings, but he said he assumed doctors who had been in practice as long as him would pick up on us and know immediately. H'mmmm, wonder what we looked like to him??? My husband is a retired fireman and I'm an ex-legal secretary - DUH!!

I'm so happy to be back with this neurologist again, who understands this condition I have from my stroke, plus who knows my back. My doctor says for the pain I have, I need something more every 4 hours than 12 hours. He is so right! I had told that doctor the Opana nor the Opana ER was helping my pain last very long. If it lasted 6 hours on some days, I thought that was doing real good. Plus, it depended on what I did also....a little laundry, a little cleaning, it's difficult doing much, but I sure try. I am not one to sit around. My grandkids love to stay with us and they can wear me out quick, (lol) but I find distraction really is the best medicine. Oh,I pay for it dearly (lol), trust me, but I love them and some day, they will be too busy and going their own way and not have time for me, so I will take them anytime I can get them now.....

But, the Opana did help my pain, but get this, I was up to 40 mg!!! YES, 40 mg.!! Now, what's wrong with the Hydromorphone??

I hope you get better at being able to drive and do more. I do pretty good, I'm still in pain, of course, nothing takes my pain completely away, but it does take the edge off and that's certainly better than nothing.

Good luck to all of you.

• Such a horrible story.. Where are all of these doctors coming from who believe Opana is the holy grail of pain meds? It's just obscene.. Opana is crap, and doesn't work for me even at 40mgx3/day.

Dilaudid is great but most definitely is NOT for everyone, and will never be Rx'd at the levels/amounts that say, vicodin or Norco are for multiple reasons. Good luck hanging onto it when your doc inevitably changes again..

• My spine surgeon first prescribed it for me and I was thrilled. 1. It relieved my pain. 2. It didn't make me feel all nervous and panicky like every other opioid I had tried. Since the surgery, I have encountered a real reluctance of docs to prescribe this drug. The PM doc I have now, in her effort to get me on a long acting pain med, gave me Opana, figuring it was in the same family of drugs as Dilaudid and I would be able to tolerate it. It was like a sugar pill, that is, it did nothing for my pain. Finally, I settled on Kadian (long acting morphine) with Dilaudid for break through. Susan

• It does seem to me that Doctors are not wanting to prescribe Diaudid, I have spoken to several people who say their Doctor took them off it when they had switched Doctors or they asked the Doc about it and they refuse to put them on it, why??? If it helps a person with chronic daily pain live alittle easier then why not prescribe this med. I guess I just don't understand the reasoning behind letting someone be in constant pain if it doesn't need to be that way...
  • First of all, I think most PM docs wany us on long-acting meds. Secondly, I'm guessing Dilaudid must be a favorite among junkies. I talked to my current PM doc (who I adore) and she confided that she is getting out of pain management. More than half of the people who come to see her are just looking for drugs (according to her). So, I guess when we feel mistreated we need to realize that our doctors also feel mistreated. Unrelated note: I got home from my appointment with this doc and the very next morning, I couldn't find my scripts. It was the Thursday before Labor Day. I had heard all the stories about "Won't replace lost prescriptions" so I was sweating bullets. I called the clinic and left a message for my doc. I said I was 90% sure I would find the scripts, that they were somewhere in my house. The nurse called me back and told me not to worry. The doctor had rewritten my prescriptions so if I couldn't find the originals, I could pick up the others. As it turned out, my husband found the little bag that contained the original scripts and I called the office and let them know, but, WOW ---can you believe it? Do I have a great doctor or what? Its too bad I'm going to lose her because of drug abusers.
  • I do think sometimes the Doctors also get a bumb rap and that's really too bad for those awesome Doctors who just really do care and want to help someone in pain...
    Boy, I bet you were really nervous about misplacing you precriptions, that would have been a really long time to be in pain...
    People that use the system to get unneeded meds really tick me off because then it makes life for the rest of us who truely need the meds harder.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    its always good to pick up and clarify things.
    Soon as I heard morphone (forgot about the beginning) I thought Opana....
    Sorry everyone for any misleading information that I gave on that
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com