Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Heard of or used Strain Counter-Strain Treatment?

QuiltinouslyQQuiltinously Posts: 152
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi all,
My GP wants me to try a unique kind of massage called Strain Counter-Strain. Has anyone used this or should I say had it done to them? All I know is that it should be a gentle pull of my muscles to help them heal, I think.

Grasping at straws to reduce pain.

• I have not heard of it in those terms, but that sounds like what my massage and PT people do to me. I will say I have days where I hate this treatment as I can hurt for days afterwards and there are days it does not bother me. BUT in less then 10 treatments I am putting on my own shoes and other big girl stuff again lol ;)

My understanding ( for my treatment anyways ) is from yrs of being in pain my muscles have retracted and are super tight and this loosens them back up again, and for me it is working.

I also walk in the pool - right now I just walk to help loosen my muscles.

Hope this helps some :)
  • Thank you, Beth. That is the kind of feedback I was seeking. I'll post how it goes.

Anyone else who has had this or something like it?

• Hiya >:D< , I have heard of it >:D< , its hard to describe but i will try :B . What they do is; gently manipulate they bone thats causing your problem :? , but they do this very very gently (but thre are a couple of ways :? , it can be done the manual way or by machine) :B , so in the long term its designed to reduce your pain :) , its also depends on the area they are working on >:D< . PM me anytime, let me know how you get on :) , i hope this make sense to you, and it helps you >:D< Its a maliputive theropy :)

Angie :H
  • I asked my PT about your questions yesterday and he said he thought it was the same thing I had done on the past with a machine ( which I had forgotten about until he reminded me ) I have had this done by a machine. That did not go well for me :( Was very painful and did not help, this hands on way they are doing it is a great help :)

BUT remember each of us are different. what may not help one is a "miracle" for others :)
  • Thanks Angie and Beth,
    I did not know it could be done by a machine. How impersonal seeming.

I remembered that the professional who will do this on me next week said that I will be taught by her to do it on myself. Not sure how in the world I'll be able to work on my shoulder and neck muscles myself with the limited use I have. I'll let you all know.

• Hiya >:D< You are very welcome :) . Is it the lumer area they are working on? :/ what pain relief do you take? :? yes please let us know :) , PM me anytime you want to :D . :H

Angie >:D<
  • Hiya >:D< , was it traction you had done? :/ :)

Angie :H
This discussion has been closed.