Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

c5/6 ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:35 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi I am new to the forums. And I just don't know if what I'm going through is normal. Here is my story. In Feb. of 2008 I got into a car accident. A 96 year old man ran a stop sign and smashed into my car. I spun around in a circle and a half and then smashed into a parked car. I herniated my c5/6. The doctors made me go through everything before they decided to do surgery. So June 1 2009 I had surgery. The surgery went really good. I no longer have the pain and numbness down my arm. I do have pain on the opposite side of my neck. I don't know if that is normal. I am now 3 months post op, and when I try to lay down and sleep my neck on the opposite side and all across my shoulder blade area hurts. I can no longer take sitting up and sleeping so I am trying to force myself to lay down and see if it goes away after awhile. I am so very thankful that my pain is nowhere near as bad as it was. But sometimes I wonder if I will ever get back to my normal self again. I haven't slept in my bed since the accident. My life has been a nightmare since the accident. I have been reading these message boards for about a year and it is nice to know that there are people out there that have been through the same thing. Thanks for listening.
advertisement

Comments

• You're still early in recovery so hang in there. What are you using for a pillow? Are you using a therapeutic cervical pillow. I found it very hard to sleep on my side for quite a while afterwards.

Best wishes to you,

Marianne
  • You are totally normal!!! :O) I know you don't feel it, because I have been there! ~X(
    I had mine done April 28th & didn't have a clue as to what to expect for the post op - just that it would take several weeks. Well, WRONG, it took several months - FOUR MOS. - but its all good now. The worse pain was in my shoulder blade, like you, it was killing me! Felt like a charlie horse for months. Used ice 1st, then heating pad for 4 mos! Didn't think I would ever be normal again. It was depressing as heck, because I did start feeling less pain after a few months, but the shoulder area was scaring me really bad, as if something went wrong while recovering. I finally went to therapy where they used tens unit & ultra sound to calm down the muscles in my shoulder area! They were so TIGHT! It was unreal actually! Like a brick! After 5 trmnts, I was normal again. They say my muscles were mad from having been disturbed, but eventually will settle down. Did you have anterior or posterior? Mine was posterior(C5-6) Very painful post op! :''( made me cry alot with muscle pain!
    Maybe want to consider therapy. I learned to go there from this forum. I didn't get a good nights sleep until after therapy - it worked for me & hopefully you too!!!
    TAKE CARE - YOU'LL BE JUST FINE!!!
    >:D< big HUG to YOU
  • I didn't know it was going to be this hard to lay down and sleep after. I can't lay on my back or my side without it starting to hurt. I am using just a plain feather pillow. I didn't know if i should get a special pillow or not. The doctor didn't really tell me much in what to expect he just said your done bye. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good pillow to use. I am so lost i don't know what to do. Thanks
  • Mine was anterior. Sometimes it feels like my shoulder blade area is on fire. Its like a burning really sore hurting pain. I do have a tens unit. I tried it before my operation and it seemed to make it worse. So I stopped using it. I never thought to try it again after. My doctor said I didn't need physical therapy. Do you think it would help? I went through physical therapy before my operation. They tried everything to get it to calm down before finally doing surgery. Thanks for listening.
  • Sounds like you must have went to the same surgeon. JERK! Didn't even want to see me after surgery - not ever. Nothing for pain! No PT. ( Wished I'd known he was such a jerk! Had to go to family doc for post op) The "fire" you decribe is what I felt too. The only thing to stop the burning pain was ICE 24/7, went on for about 6 wks it seemed. Couldn't do ANYTHING without ice on me! Not even sit, lie, or even talk without it. It burned so bad. I just kept it numb, I guess. PT say 'cause muscles were split & torn away - makes sense now. Then I used heating pad 24/7. My doc told me before the surgery that I wouldn't need PT either. But he also told me everything fine in 2 weeks. sheesh what a liar! I went to PT for almost a year before having this surgery, nothing helped, not even the injections. The surgery was an awesome success, no more PAIN in the arm!!!
    Hope you get some relief quick!!! I know it hurts so bad!!! I wouldn't try your tens, but see if your reg. doc. will prescribe PT for you & let them help you. I don't want you to mess up & further your delay in healing. People in here say it takes 3-6 months to recover & it sounds right on the money!
    Take Care - Good Luck - Hugs
  • Hi again, This is the pillow I use, hope its ok to post this....http://orthopedic-products.medical-supplies-equipment-company.com/product/ppf/id/10468/new_prod_full.asp

Ice/heat is helpful too. Ice on for 20 every hour or two helped me.

Take care,

Marianne
  • hi, I did another MRI after, it shows more complications. C6/C7 in 2007, now it's going to be c5/c6. So try MRI if pain last that long, Happy Health.
  • Hi I just wanted to let you guys know I got a new pillow. I have been using it two days. I don't know if it is working yet because my neck and shoulder blades are still really sore and hurting still. I think that once they calm down the pillow will do great. I am just taking everything one day at a time and I will make it through. Thanks.
  • One day at a time. All my surgeon said was "do whatever it takes to get comfortable". I don't think anything, not a pillow, no nada, will make it comfortable. The pain is all from the disturbed muscles. I have never experienced this type of pain. I used to think I could handle alot of pain & would not have a problem with this operation. If it weren't for this forum here, I would have had it even rougher! When I compare todays pain with months ago, it's like an annoying tooth ache & I take 1/2 a vicodin & it's all good. I hope to be off these in a week or so - that and the PT. I am finding that the heating pad is going to have to go! It has been by my side since the end of April. It gave me much relief & comfort. Try ice & heat for comfort. There's nothing in the world that can speed up your healing, so just try & make it comfortable as possible.
    Hugs to all of you & hope you feel okay today!!!
  • the pain is as bad as before surgery or in a different place, please ask your doctor to do new tests. I had an ACDF C5/6 June15th, and I had some relief from the burning shoulder blade on my right side and tingling in right arm. But my left shoulder and arm started hurting/aching, like a raw nerve, worse at night or if I did too much. My surgeon, at first, sent me to PT, I did two sessions and couldn't handle it. I made an appt. and went back to see him. Luckily he had me do a new MRI, which showed some nerve compression, then I had to do a myelogram/CT. It showed the dye wasn't going thru the left side at C4/5 and I had a badly herniated disc there, and we found out that my C6/7 was severely degenerated bone on bone and my C7/T1 had a bulging disc too.

So don't dismiss pain after postop if it's been a few weeks or gets worse or changes places. Make a special appt. and go back to your surgeon. It doesn't hurt a thing to make sure that things are healing, fusing, hardware is good, and all is well. I know that nerves take a while to die down after they are hurt. I even have a lesion at C4/5 on my left nerve root, so I know it's going to act up for a few more weeks.
  • My surgeon did 2 areas, C5-6 & C6-7, Cervical Foraminotomy. Although only C6-7 showed the pinched area, he elected to do C5-6 while he was in there, because he said 9 times out of 10 it will need relief sooner or later. No big deal, just alot of post op pain. It's all good - thx for commenting! My muscle pain has gone away almost 100% since therapy... that was my one & ony complaint. It was a very tearful event, the post op pain. Didn't think I was gonna make it through recovery a-l-i-v-e. Evday for mos & mos so very painful, made me depressed & felt completely hopeless. No one to talk to that has gone through it! That's when I got in here. Thank God!
    BIG >:D< EV1
advertisement