Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

need a little insite on post sugery systoms please

crazyauntplayerccrazyauntplayer Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,im really unsure of a couple new systoms since i had 5 level spine fusin on 7/20/09 please. I have carple tunnel,but have had no serious problems in a long time,since sugery the baby,ring,and middle fingers on left hand stay mumb and tingling every day almost all day,is this a sympton of sugery???Also have been having the light shows in my head that go with migrain head achs. Should i let the doctor know?? Hes really a jerk and has talked to me like dirt more than once,so im kind of afraid of him. This is all new since sugery,,any sugestions would be welcome. thank for your time cheryl (crazyauntplayer)

• Please do not be afraid to talk to your doctor about your symptoms. Please do not allow him to talk down to you either. He is no better or worse a person than you and you deserve the respect that any patient should get. I don't have any medical advice for you.

One Love,

• downinmyheart! your doctor works for you and should treat with respect!!~

• Yes, I would definitely call my Dr. Even if he is a jerk! You should find out what is going on, maybe a nerve is pinched, or inflammation, I'm not a Dr.though. Don't be intimidated by him, you are recovering from a huge surgery and should have your concerns listened to.
  • I would find another DR. Some of them are total jerks. A good Dr will be there for you. I think everyone here has had something go numb. Have you had surgery on your carpal tunnel? I had to have both wrists done. Those 3 fingers get numb and tingly and sometimes the fingers feel like they will explode. Those 3 fingers would draw as if holding a pistol at night and you could not open them without using your other hand. Not sure about the light show, but you may have problems in your neck causing the numbness in your hands. Find a good DR, it is your health and not his! God Bless!
  • I totally agree - call your doc. Sometimes surgeons are somewhat lacking in bedside manner and can seem quite intimidating - just remember that you are paying him! If he does not respond satisfactorily see another doc. Maybe even contact your primary care doc.

I did have intermittent numbness/tingling in my left little finger and that side of my left hand for several months following surgery. Having been warned by others that I might experience all kinds of strange nerve issues I just tossed it up to that. It finally went away. Also had issues with light sensitivity and what are sometimes called ocular migraines (little jagged lines of light running across my field of vision). I had my eyes checked and had an MRI - all normal. The light/vision issues did get better for me - but do get them checked out. I have no idea how they might relate to lumbar fusion but if you had a 5 level fusion then I imagine there could be quite a variety of nerve-related issues going on.

• The middle, ring & pinky finger going numb is a different nerve from the carpal tunnel. It's the ulnar nerve (I've had both problems, surgery for both as well) I agree, call your surgeon. I've had some intimidating docs as well, just remember they are working for you, for pay. Bring someone along with you to your appointments with him, for a bit of support. If you can't work with him, find another doc! Even if these new issues are to be expected, it'll ease your mind to hear it from a doc, rather than worry about it until your next scheduled visit.
    Good luck, and let us know how you're doing!