Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spasms everywhere, Advice Needed.

WandtmacWWandtmac Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My surgery on Thursday was a breeze. I awoke feeling most of my left arm which was great news. I was in recovery a very short amount of time and as soon as I got to my room I didn't even get in the bed but instead started walking the halls. I do have an issue that appears to be worsening. I awoke to small spasms in my arms and legs. They are getting more intense and I know they have something to do with the spinal cord damage that the doctor told my husband was bad. The doctor stated he did not know how I was functioning with that much damage in my neck and that I was very strong welled to had still been mobile before surgery. Now, these spasms are getting bad enough that just walking around the house is becoming a chore. I am very unstable and I really want to go for a walk but can't flex my feet at all when walking, I waddle like a duck right now, a very drunk duck that is!
Did anyone else experience this issue and was is permanent or did it lessen as the swelling and inflammation reduced? I know I am just playing a waiting game right now and with this being a long weekend getting to the doctors to get a shot to relax my muscles is not an issue. I am not sitting at the ER this soon after surgery and expose myself to every no virus and cold out there right now.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I am around 2 months post-op for cervical surgery and I had a horrible time with muscle spasms. Still do. I have prescription muscle relaxers but I have found that Tylenol PM works very well on my spasms. Just a thought until you can get to your doc. For me the Tylenol PM works better then the prescription.
  • Once the hubby gets up I am sending him to get me a new heating pad & I will try the Tylenol PM. The relaxers I have aren't helping at all. I will try anything at this point. I need to walk because I am more scared of a blood clot than anything else right now.
  • When you can't get out to walk, you can do a lot to prevent blood clots by doing simple ankle and leg exercises. You can do them sitting in a chair, if necessary. Just flexing and pointing your feet will help keep the blood circulating.

Do you have a walker? I would think that would supply enough support for you as you try to walk.

Also, I find it very helpful to get into the following position several times each day: lie on the floor with your hips up close to the edge of a couch or chair. Rest your calves and feet on the seat of the couch (your legs are bent at the hip and then at the knee so your body looks like a stair step). Lie in the position for several minutes breathing deeply from the belly. While there I usually do "ankle pumps" and also circle my feet from the ankle. This position is a form of natural traction. It lets the discs unload and get out from under the stress of gravity. It also allows the muscles and soft tissue that guard the spine and contribute to the spasms to relax.

I get into this position a lot when watching TV. Hope this works for you, too.

Hope you feel better soon.

xx Gwennie
  • I found that small doses of Ativan helped with spasms more than the regular muscle relaxers. Just have to be careful with them though. Some docs are okay with this, others not so much. They can be habit forming. Good luck!
  • I would stay away from that one and all benzodiazepines....I got addicted in 2 weeks then spent 8 months weaning off of them! They say it is worse than heroine...and it was! My husband was contemplating a detox center for me.

Flexeril works well with the spasms...also take magnesium and calcuim...it could be either due to the "nerves waking up" or "damage"....I like the "waking up idea myself......makes things hopeful.....I am exactly like you....had my surgery 8/13/09.....

• I seem to keep posting this same message over and over but I seriously would not beable to get around as much as i do right now if it hadn't been for my Dr putting me on Neurotin I started at 600mg and I am now up to 1800mg, for Fibermyalgia and the leg spasms, The spasms have decreased in half atleast if not more. It doesn't help the intensity of them when they accure but they do help the amount of spasms I have. Ask your Dr about it and if it would be something you could try.

Good luck, most of us have been or are still going through the leg pain. I am 2yrs post op and I am going ack into surgery next month to remove the screws from my fusion to see if that helps with the spasms and leg pain.

Keep us updated please and God Bless.
  • Sometimes it's the calcium/magnesium/vitamin D that is lacking in your body and causes the spasms. I took a supplement 2-3 times a day and they went away.
  • I spoke to the doctor over the last few days and he stated it would get worse before getting better. He stressed to me again the severity of the herniation at my c5-6 'IT WAS A TOTAL MESS IN THERE, THE MRI REALLY DIDNT PREPARE ME FOR WHAT I HAD FOUND.' That was his words. I am having to take high doses of benadryl right now due to my tape allergy is really showing its ugly head where the incision was covered for 24 hours and the spasms seem to lessen when I take this. I have tried muscle relaxers and taking sleeping aids is a complete waste of money for me.
    Overall I believe that it will get better and I should be returning to my normal synical self soon. Just a bit lonely right now. Me and my dog sit, walk around the house and watch tv. Doctor said no house work and I am taking advantage of that order but My Dear Hubby looks stressed and tired. I feel more sorry for him. Always having to deal with his wife having surgery and this was supposed to be our week off on vacation. 17 years of marriage and never had a vacation. I ruined that again.
    Thanks again everyone and take care.
  • I have discovered that many people are really low on Vit. D after surgery. I think the idea to take calcium/magnesium/Vitamin D supplements is a great idea and certainly shouldn't hurt anything.

Also Vitamin E is good for nerve pain.

Surgeons aren't usually so blunt in telling the patient how messed up it was. I guess he REALLY means it.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • A cheaper, safer and healthier way to get the calcium and vitamins you may be lacking, is to eat the right foods. Many green leafy vegetables have just that. Plus it is fun and easy to do and can be very low calories and filling. Depending on how they are prepared, they are easy to swallow and shouldn't present you with any challenges in that arena.

• I had tried Neurotin years ago and it really didnt help that much. I know my father cant live without Neurotin but for me it didnt work. I dont think there is much I havent tried since dealing with chronic pain since I was a teenager. I knew I would have neck, back and arm spasms but never thought it would hit my legs this way when having cervical surgery. I am hoping with time I will get better and this is temporary.
    Thanks for the words of advice... I know my father loves that drug.