Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is it just me???

libby724llibby724 Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:35 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had my 3 level ACDF in January I was doing Ok till the past few weeks. The pain in my neck is back....I think what caused this is the fact that I fell (last thing I needed to do) went to the Ortho Dr last week he gave me some Vicodin (or as I refer to them as Tic Tacs they are doing nothing for the pain) and Naproxin and said to put ice on it if not better in 2 weeks come see me again.

The problem I have is the ice.....it hurts to put ice on my neck and I mean it hurts so bad I can't keep it there at all. I don't know what is causeing that (maybe the metal in my neck) but the only thing that feels good is heat and that is what I have been useing. Anyone find that they are experiencing the same issues??
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Libby,
    I have a four level fusion Dec. 8th, 2008 C4-7 and March I started have new pain in neck of right arm which has gotten worse each month, done PT, pills, trigger point shots and epidural with no relief at all. The MRI shows a new bulge at bottom of C7 and I see a new NS this Thursday. I am hoping he can do something quick, I am at the end of road with the pain.
    I hope you find an answer soon.
    Rick
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    i am recovering from 3 level cervical fusion and my surgeon said ice,ice and more ice. I like you found that ice irritated the crap out of my neck. So my surgeon told me to try a bag of frozen peas instead of ice pack. It does not get quite as cold but it worked. I thought he was nuts when he told me this but hey hes the surgeon.
    Susan
  • I have had C5-C6 fusion and have always been told to put ice on my neck. But heat has always helped more than ice. You might want to try a combination which is what I do after my injections every three months. I place heat then cold, then heat. Works out better as the heat makes it where I can tolerate the cold.

For me I wear a scarf in the winter months just going outside can send my muscles into spasms.
  • The cold really brings on muscles spasms for me too. I am so dreading the winter.....I think I need to move to Florida. I am thinking about calling the surgeon on Tuesday I went to the Ortho because he is usually easier to get an appt with but I think its time to call the surgeon....
  • I say the docs who say ice everything have never had nerve pain or a herniated disk. For me, it just makes it hurt more. I know they say it helps with swelling and inflammation, but if you can't take it. When I had PT, the therapist would say heat relaxes and ice tightens up things, so if you already have spasms, heat is the way to go.

I had my second ACDF two weeks ago C4/5, had C5/6 done in June. My reports said my C6/7 is bone on bone and the surgeon said he didn't want to touch it. It also said I have a midline bulge at C7/T1. My pain has gotten some better, but still there. My surgeon is the type that only gives 30 lortabs at a time, no refills and you have to call for a new script. The pharmicist treats me funny like I'm a druggie since I'm in there every 8-10 days. It's aggravating. Sorry, I got off track from the initial string. It was interesting to read about the frozen peas helping a bit since it wasn't as cold. I have a refrigerator gel pack that I use on my lumbar and it does feel okay in the summertime. I still can't take it in the winter. I'm colder natured anyway.
  • One thing to remember is to place the heat ALL AROUND your neck not just on one side. I use a rice pack and heat it up and wrap it around my neck. I have found trying to treat one side just does not work. I heal faster if I just place the pack around my neck and loosen all of the muscles.
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,617
    I vote heat only! Just the thought of cold - makes me shiver and spasm!

Peas to us all?!

D
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • My surgeon said ice the first 48 hours, then after that heat. I've used the frozen peas for years, but I hate ice. 15 years ago I was having PT for shoulder surgery, and the therapist put a heavy frozen gel pack that extended from my neck to my waist on my back, then left me for 30 minutes. I thought I was going to lose my mind ~X( . I never let him do it again. Now I can't take ice packs at all. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

Maggie
  • My surgeon said ice the first 48 hours, then after that heat. I've used the frozen peas for years, but I hate ice. 15 years ago I was having PT for shoulder surgery, and the therapist put a heavy frozen gel pack that extended from my neck to my waist on my back, then left me for 30 minutes. I thought I was going to lose my mind ~X( . I never let him do it again. Now I can't take ice packs at all. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

Maggie
advertisement