Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg and foot pain, drop foot

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I had 4 laminectomies done 7 months ago. Awoke with no feeling in left foot, it wanted to fall to the left, no strength, and painful. Since I have had dropfoot, weakness, walking on marbles sensation, swelling of top of foot in the eve, calf pain always. Currently on 800m ibuprofen 3X day and 1 300m gabupentin daily. Dr. has taken wait and see attitude, but I'm worried of a permanent condition. Hard to walk more than 1/4 mile and must sit and rest between. Have gone thru PT for months with no results, I think they have given up, but won't say. My next step is try accupuncture instead of tens unit not working, but aggrivating the nerve. I am interested in anyone having similar experiences and outcome. Maybe I can learn something......

• I am so sorry to hear about your problem. Although i don't have the *dropfoot* issue as of yet. I do have other problems with the nerves after surgery. I am on 1800mg of Neurotin. I am not sure if increasing this will help or not but at this point could it hurt? I know how frustrating it is when you want answers and now. There are lots of nice people in this forum and who can be here to help you if even to vent all that frustration. Also try the chatrooms here, they are nice and you may run into someone who has the same problem.

Good Luck!!
  • I think I would get more aggressive about trying to find out what is causing the continued foot drop. I would go back to your surgeon and ask the questions over again and see what he says. Have you had any epidural injections since surgery to try to settle down any recurring inflammation? That would be one thing to try.

You might want to have an EMG and nerve conduction study done to see if there is nerve damage, or what type of damage since surgery.

You are on a baby dose of gabapentin. I would ask to have that increased for a month to see if it helps with the nerve pain.

I could not use tens after fusion. It really aggravated my nerve pain.

Was fusion suggested to you? I think it is somewhat unusual to have some many levels operated on without anything to stabilize the spine. At what levels are your laminectomies? I assume it is lumbar....

I'm sorry you're having all these problems. You are still early in your recovery, so don't give up hope. I would go back to the surgeon and ask some questions. If you don't get any answers, I would look for a new surgeon who is will to help you.
  • I had the same thing happen after my fourth surgery on L5-S1 and he also went to L4 during that last surgery which caused my foot drop. I woke up with a numb and painful left foot following my first surgery and I continue to work on regaining it.
    About 9 months ago my podiatrist told me about a procedure being used to save diabetic feet and after looking into it I found out I had similar condition that dealt with peripheral nerve compression. I have had 2 surgeries. The first they released two locations below my left knee and I woke up with no more foot drop and my toes worked. The second surgery has brought back some feeling and now my nerves continue to heal giving me more function. What they base their work on is that the nerve re-grow from the spinal area and then they hit areas of compression and once released the nerve can keep healing. It works. I don't know how much I will gain back but so far I have more then I started with.
    My podiatrist had made a brace for my ankle to help the drop foot. Now I don't need it!!!