Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sketchers shape up sneakers

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone out there tried these sneakers? I am 4 months post-op and was prescribed by doc to walk 2 miles a day. By the time I get 1/2 mile my back and legs are killing me due to significate nerve damage in legs and my sneakers suck!!! Im wondering if these would help minimize the pain while walking. They look very comforable but to do not want to spend the money on another pair that's not going to support my back.Any opinions would be greatly appriciated.

• These are like Masai Barefoot Trainers (my hubby is on his feet all day & made the $250.00 :jawdrop: investment on them), Skechers version is roughly half the price. If you decide to try them, you need to work up to wearing them, otherwise you run the risk of straining muscles, tendons, etc. Hubby says they are comfortable once you get used to them. Hope this helps
  • I find no matter what sketchers shoes or sneakers I wear, they all hurt my feet and legs. If you are going to get shoes for walking, it's always smarter to get real walking shoes instead of cross trainers or running shoes. The padding is different and the support is different in all these shoes.

• Don't know what it is about skechers, but I can't wear them! They leave my legs and feet aching. I'd like to say give them I try, but, I would not.
    I've tried several different styles of skechers over the years and not been able to wear any of them for long. They all ended up being donated.
  • Wrambler, do your sketchers start out comfy and quickly become uncomfortable? That's what happens to me! The most comfortable shoes I have now are Merrill slip-on type.
  • My therapist recommended I get walking shoes after I completed my most recent therapy. He advised "Brooks Addiction" walking shoes were some of the best for arch support and side support. I bought two pairs at roughly $100.00 each and they are very good standing / walking shoes. Also, they are comfortable to wear without having to get used to them.
  • I have bought sketchers and they have as you stated, started out good and then not as great later. Merrills are a good choice and in Iowa winters the leather slip ons worked great for going through a fusion. I cant seem to find any sneaker type that work for long. Maybe it was my torn disc problem and the newness was feeling great but support wasnt good enough. Dont know. I also bought the ones with the springs in the back. They are great, but my heel is so high that I refuse to wear them now until I am certain that my fusion is totally stable. Right now, crocks as stupid as they look fill the bill for lounging around and my short walks.
  • I just recently read an article about those new sneakers. They were just as effective in helping with muscle tone as regular walking sneakers. My favorite online site for walking shoes is www.footsmart.com.

Happy New Year!

• Some of the scientific articles about shoes similar to the ShapeUps say that the risk of rolling your ankles and falling are higher in these shoes. Not sure if you have any leg issues, but I couldn't risk falling. I would go to a local running/walking store to get fitted for walking shoes.
    1/16/2013 Minimally invasive TLIF with rods, screws, and cage on L5/S1 joint to treat grade 2 spondylolysthesis, pars defect, degenerative disc disease. Dealt with chronic pain & nerve issues since at least 2007.
  • My experience with good walking running shoes is limited but I have always had very good luck with the brand Saucony, and New balance. You may pay a little more for the shoes but think of shoes as an investment in your posture and health. This topic reminds me its time to look for a new pair for myself!

Happy New Year!

Pain free days are ahead!

• I think with your history I would go to an athletic shoe store, a good one, not necessarily a chain & let them evaluate you thoroughly & recommend the right shoes and/or inserts.

A shoe that is perfect for me could be disastrous for you. I really think a pro can fit you properly with the right shoe.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I too LOVE footsmart.com. Good stuff for shoes, back, knees, feet, etc. I qualify in each category!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • After my fusion surgery I found the Z-Coil shoes, my physical therapist recommended them. They look alittle funny but are very comfortable. They are designed to reduce impact. These shoes have a huge open spring in the heel and are heat molded at a specialty store for a perfect fit. Yes, they are a bit pricey but great if they work for you. I bought my first pair online at an auction site and took them to a store for fitting (which I was not charged for), once I knew they worked for me I didnt mind spending the money to buy directely from the store.
  • They have the best memory foam padding on the heel and make me 2" taller. Very comfortable. I have a Canadian site for all shoes in Canada with free shipping. Big sale on. PM me. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I've been fighting for a long time to find a comfortable pair of shoes to walk in, and no matter what I end up with my good ole made in the USA worknsport work boots. I had my wife pick a pair up once, and she got the made in asia things, and they were as bad as shoes.

Nice part about work boots is they are designed to be walked in comfortably, and not for foot decorations.
  • not a fan...they are not your natural foot position. They are like MTB's which I tried but then consulted with my surgeon and PT...neither of them would tell me yes or no but both suggested they are not a natural foot alignment.

Instead I have a good local running store that fits my feet based on how I walk over a computerized machine. It has been a better option for me.

The MTB's when I tried them were comfy and seemed cool but I did feel a little unstable in them and if I lost my balance, which seemed more likely in them, I feared I'd fall.

I would consult your surgeon or PT just to get their thoughts.
  • I wear Sketchers shape ups all the time and I love them. I am waiting back surgery, It takes a while to get used to them,they dont make my back or legs hurt at all. They actually help you lose weight and tone your body. I paid 100.00 for mine they are the gratest.
  • I agree with Iowarobin I also live in Iowa and my Fiance took me to a real shoe store for my Birthday
    in Dec and the guy told me they do not even carry Sketchers they will twist your ankles due to bad arch
    system and put me on to new balance with the walking
    arch system $125.00 a pair but OMG the most comfortable shoe I have ever wore And as Iowarobin also stated CROCS ROC for short ventures ....around
    Iowa city hour south where you from robin ?