Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is the SSA going to be spying on me like W/C did?

lynnsyllynnsy Posts: 197
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:35 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I've asked this question before but only received one response. I filed for SSD almost 3 months ago, and am still going through this long process. I am 1yr. 7 months post-op from my 3 level fusion, and still in constant chronic pain. So I decided to go ahead and file for SSD. (can't do SSI cause my hubby makes too much money)

At any rate, to make a long story short, does the SSA spy on you like what I went through with W/C? That was really creepy. Then in court the video tape was cut up and only showing the part of me "squatting". They didn't tell the court the date in which they caught me "squatting" while I was all doped up and 9 months after my injury. It took them 9 months of filming to get that little squat, then sitting back in my chair. "Good Grief"!!! And boy, did they make a big deal out of it, but the Judge kept shutting me up, I didn't have a leg to stand on...

Will or is the SSA following me around too???? Someone told me they do.
advertisement

Comments

• Makes one wonder lynnsy how much tax-payers money went into that filming...probably 10 times as much as you are claiming for.I've just applied for disability living allowance (UK) but it doesn't sound as draconian here. Yes they do spy on some, but generally on people who are playing rugby and football regularly!

It's perfectly reasonable to take a spouse's earnings into account, but it's an incontrovertible fact that if you are entitled to benefits you should get them.

Drugged up on painkillers we can all do things from time to time that we wouldn't otherwise be able to do. Do they take into account that we pay a big price once the analgaesics have worn off?

Good luck.
  • THere are instances when SSA will "spy" on individuals attempting to either get disability benefits, or trying to keep receiving them.

HOWEVER, because (as Tippe pointed out) the cost is so extravagant, they will only do this on claimants where SSA persumes they are trying to defraud the government. If your claim is sincere and well documented (and I assume it is) there won't be a problem with people following you around.

Rest easy, continue your treatment and hopefully things will fall into place for you!

Best of luck to you!

* by the way - you both are new members, so I thought it prudent I inform you that I worked as a disability claims adjudicator for 10 years.... I retired from there in 2001, so policy and procedure may have changed since. But, in these trying times, I don't thing the government will spend money like this unless it is a "slam dunk"....
  • They can spy on you. I was told that a man down the road that was in the process of filing discovered someone watching him. It happened to be the day of or before (can't remember) he had to go in for medical evaluation with SSDI docs. I never noticed anyone spying on me, but I was never worried about it either.
  • Ya, I'm not too concerned about the spy's, like I said, it's just creepy and an invasion of privacy. At any rate, of course I've got my Neurosurgeon behind me. But I also submitted photo's of my 3 level fusion x-ray, my 35 stapeled back (post-op), MRI reports, everything... I don't have anything to hide. This really did happen, LOL:) But it's like you said, they have no idea how doped up I am all the time just to handle my dailey life, with my tens unit straped on, laying on ice in the evenings, husband massaging me with my portable ultrasound. Like I said, it took W/C 9 months to get that shot of me squatting, and that one shot took over the whole case and the W/C Judge wasn't about ready for me to explain ANYTHING, he STOMPED on me every time I opened my mouth. He was really mad at me just because I didn't wait the 2 years after my injury to get it fixed. After 1 year, 2 months I couldn't take them bickering anymore, (3 of their surgeons said I needed a lumbar fusion, and 1 said no) so I decided I couldn't take the intense pain anymore, and went to my own insurance (through spouse) and they immediately said I needed surgery NOW cause it was getting worse. So of-course I had the surgery done. Actually it was probably a blessing to have my own Neurosurgeon do it, instead of some quack W/C surgeon. Anyway, the Judge at the W/C trial was REALLY mad at me for having the surgery done elsewhere. LMFAO!!!! JERK!! What did he expect?

I just want to make sure I don't "squat" outside, or SSA would make a big deal out of it. God, I hope not!! I just hate having to look over my shoulder. The wonderful thing about it is, is I would see them before they see me, like I did with W/C, we saw the idiot and waved at him. We live in the mountains, and a long ways away from neighbors, and know ALL the cars that live around here. So a stranger is definately spotted right away.

So you guys are saying it's a "rarity" for SSA to follow you if it's real obvious that I've had a 3 level fusion, and still in horendous pain still after 1 year 7 months? AND they have pictures to prove it and doctors reports?
  • It more than likely will not happen. HOWEVER, if someone near you has too much information about you and too much time on their hands and for what ever reason decides to make your life a living h3ll, and decides to report you for fraud, the federal government has to investigate... Just be sure you don't get photographed picking up 50# bags of feed, cases of beer, 50# sacks of crawfish, etc.

Belive it or not - there was a report of a man doing JUST THAT! He apparently was having a crawfish boil. Bought a #3 tub, ice, crawafish, onions, potatoes, etc. But, they filmed him doing very UN disabled things on more than one occasion. PLUS put it on the EVENING NEWS for goodness sakes!

OY! The things some people will (or will not) do!
  • Ha, ha, ha.... I couldn't even DREAM of lifting 50#, I'd be back in the hospital for sure!!! And that's the one thing that absolutely makes me sick to my stomach, is the thought of another surgery, but that's where I would end up!!!

And all of my neighbors up here adore me, and feel horrible for the pain I endure everyday. They've been here for me mentally and physically. I've only got 3 neighbors. The wonderful benefit of living at 8500 feet, and back in the mountains, and they all live "way over yonder" LOL...

So I'm just not going to worry about it. I didn't worry about it with the W/C idiots either, like I said, we saw them filming me, I waved, but KNEW they couldn't have possibly gotten anything cause I was sitting in a lawn chair watching my husband work on our driveway edge. I squatted to push a little dirt, and W/C cut the heck out of the tape, (because all the rest of it, I was sitting in the chair, watching my husband for about 1/2 hour) BUT that was the ONLY part they showed in court. It just made me sick!!!

So I didn't want SSA getting a picture of me taking out our 10 pound trash in a dark green bag, telling someone that the bag was "full of rocks" or "5 frozen turkeys" or something...
  • I've been wanting to post this since Jan.13th (my birthday) talk about a WONDERFUL birthday gift!!! I was approved for SSD on my birthday!!! Then a BONUS that I wasn't expecting at all,.... they pro-rated it back one year from my application!!! I about freaked out when I was balancing our bank statement on line....saw this HUGE deposit, I hadn't received any kind of notice from the SSA in regards to this. I immediately called my bank to verify, then I called SSA to verify, it was REAL!!!! I definately cried some happy tears that day!!! Obviously I had nothing to worry about... I've just read so much negativity on here about people NOT being approved and filing for appeals for years!!! YEA ME!!!!! Now to go into my Neurosurgeon to figure out what the heck is wrong, and how can he fix it :-(
  • Hi Lynn :)

GREAT news!!!! Sometimes it really is about the luck of the draw if you get DD or anything else. I know lots of people who should have it and don't and vise verse. weird!

One time when hubby was hurt and off work due to his injury. He was a coal miner - low ground. Any ways we were at his Dr appt. and waiting to be seen and this lady was in the waiting area with us and the 3 of us got to talking about hobbies, kids etc etc.

The nurse calls my hubbies name to be seen and this lady starts to follow us saying " Hi I am your WC nurse" with a nasty smirk on her face!!!! what?! :jawdrop:

Can you image if hubby had been faking it or even not but said 1 word wrong about what he could do or something! Here we thought we were just chit chatting with this lady and instead she was trying to "squeeze" hubby..
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    The likelihood of surveillance in SS cases is far lower than in WC or STD/LTD. I also worked in STD/LTD for years and we did do surveillance on occasion. While SS could do surveillance it's less likely than being surveilled under other benefits such as STD/LTD/WC.

I would say this, even after you are approved for SS (or for anyone approved for WC, STD, or LTD), always be honest with the communications, paperwork you submit and what you say to SS or any insurance carrier. There are so many variables but if someone seems to be exaggerating. possibly hiding information or has suspicious information surrounding them (for example, is found to be an owner of a business but really may have no involvement) it's always possible SS or an insurance company may want to check further. So don't feel the need to hide information when they send you questionnaires. Just be honest and objective in how you answer them.

Karin
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
advertisement