Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Fusion and BMP

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:35 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had ACDF on c6-7 on March 31, 2009. In May and early June, all was going well but then the pain and numbness started again. In July, x-rays showed the the donor bone was being absorbed by my body. In 6 weeks it had lost 1/2 its height and it was becoming clearer on the x-ray. 6 weeks later, new x-rays showed further donor bone loss and the space between c6 and c7 is almost gone. The doctor wandt to go in again, but this time he plans on using a plastic spacer with a sponge soaked in BMP in the middle of the spacer. This is supposed to encourage my own bone to grow through the sponge like is would donor bone while allowing the height of the space to stay because of the plastic spacer.

Has anyone here had BMP used cervically? I have read great things about its use in lower back issues but the warnings on cervical issues scare me more than the surgery does.

• ERNurse has many posts on this topic. Run a search and you will find links to all kinds of information and study.

Here is one I ran across that talks about the ongoing clinical trials: http://www.necksurgery.com/articles-infuse_clinical_trial.html

and a bit from another study:

Caution should be exercised with rh-BMP-2 use in ACDF surgery as the correct dose and technique for application is not yet determined. Respiratory distress and dysphagia may result secondary to rh-BMP-2 induced anterior neck swelling.

It sounds like it will have the potential to work well, as soon as they can figure out how much BMP to insert into the cage.

Do all the research you can and then talk with your surgeon and ask him lots of questions. He may have performed many successful surgeries using this off-label.