Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Swelling of painful area, anybody else get this?

JohnnyOJJohnnyO Posts: 118
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
I have been dealing with my current damage at mostly my S1 and also my L5 nerve root since February of 08. The nerve pain is terrible, Ive had two failed surgeries so far and am going into a L4-S1 fusion sometime soon. The pain I cant stand is the nerve pain that is below the knee and mostly in my left foot. It feels like my foot is literally caught on fire and Ive been hospitalized many times since for pain control. At home I have been controlling the pain somewhat well with a ton of medication.

Last month my painful left foot began to swell for the first time, eventually to a huge size where it looked very fat and felt like I was wearing 10 pairs of socks when walking. I wonder if this is related to my herniated disc's in my lower back or something else. My doctor didnt really have an answer but seemed to think it has something to do with the pain my foot has alread been in.

I dont think Ive ever read anything about someones area of severe nerve pain from a back injury swelling, does anybody else get this symptom?

• i have had sciatic pain for a long time. i used to get more swelling in the foot of my worst leg...i dont know why. i also got sensations of cold in the foot
    my only other question regarding swelling is that it might be gout. gout can cause swelling and pain when touched...hope you improve....pete
  • Yes, after my surgeries, both legs and feet swelled similar to what you are describing. I thought that the medication Lyrica might have caused it, but I was told it was due to the lack of circulation and the lack of signal from the nerves in my back to my legs and feet.
  • I have the same disc problem and had a very swollen foot. My Dr. gave me a mild water pill and I used a recumbent excercise bicycle to try and work out though unable to put pressure on my foot. My foot is back to normal especially after epidurals,lyrica and cymbalta helped the swelling but the pain is still there. I had a bone scan and xrays several times for the soft tissue swelling. At first they thought it was a stress fracture but they wouldn't do too much about that anyway. But it wasn't and now it's just the pain and to top it all it's the foot opposite the herniation. It is worse than the backpain at times though hard to measure. I found wearing slippers around the house helped except on the stairs too slippy for an unstable leg. A cane helps a little walking to take the pressure off the foot but really hope you get some pain relief soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • This has been happening to me for a long time now. Not only do my feet swell but also my legs will as well. When I asked the PM dr about this all he said was hmmmm.

My PCP is the one who let me know that it was due to the inflamtion coming from the pressure on my nerves in my L5 and S1 area. I also have been noticing that my back swells in that area now as well.

Rest, a fluid pill, and time is all I know of that helps this. Make sure you do some range of motion in the affected areas it also helps to reduce the swelling as well.

Hope you get some relief soon, for me the swelling only adds to the pain.
This discussion has been closed.