Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Positive News

Jan MartinJJan Martin Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,
I just got back from my 6 week post-op check up with my surgeon. I am happy to report that all my hardware is in place and that there is already significant bone growth! The doctor was very pleased with the fusion progress, the way I am moving, and that I am walking a mile a few times a day. He said I am doing much better than most at this point and to keep doing what I am doing. That being said, I have to point out that I am 51 years old and not a hard-core athlete. I am not totally pain free. I'm just following doctor's orders, taking care of myself, and trying to keep a positive attitude that in the long run I will be better off than I was before surgery. I am psyched about being able to drive and starting water and physical therapy! I hope each of you finds something positive in your life today.

• youre setting a great example. if only i could get that extra push to get me going every day...keep up the good recovery....pete
  • Thanks for posting some positive news. It certainly helps us that are waiting for surgery to hear that you are doing so well. What type of pain meds are you on? You have brightened my day :)
  • Im at seven weeks and just started water theropy last week. You sound just like me I've hiked all the trails in our local metro parks and the more I do the better I feel. Good luck and have fun at water theropy.

• I understand and I was there. I was very nervous pre-op about the surgery expectations, pain levels, what life post-op will be like. Before surgery, I was often scared by some of the posts I read, but the information and support I received has made a huge difference in my attitude. Knowing what to expect and what questions to ask gave me confidence and courage. I think that we all need to hear some positive stories to give us hope.

I am taking vicodin - same days I take more than other days depending on my back's attitude. I'm pleasantly surprised that I have gotten this far so quickly but have no illusions that my story is complete.
  • I agree, daily walking is the best therapy!

Great to hear your positive news Jan!
  • for you! May you continue to heal more and more everyday!!~ Thank you for sharing your positive story.

• Great news for you and I hope you enjoy the water therapy. Funny thing... When I had water therapy after my 1st spinal surgery they put me in the deep end to tread water. Well, I float like you know what! I wasn't moving my legs or arms to stay up just floating. I thought I was just in the deep in to be weightless and give relief to my spine. They got me out and put 5lb weights on both legs. I still floated.
    Hope you enjoy the water therapy I know I did.
  • woo hoo :) positive news is always the best.
  • Hi Jan

So happy that you're healing well. Hope you continue to do well.

Jaws - hope your recovery keeps going well too.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well! :-)