Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed Back Surgery Syndrome and DDD

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
I'm a 60 year old male, former athlete ( in my own mind), been thru 4 lumbar laminectomies/disectomies over last 20 years. I now have very severe lower back pain, fortunately very little sciatica. I'v got Failed Sirgical Back Syndrone and DDD. I went to Mayo and they wany to do a 4 level ( L 2-3 thru L5-S1 fusion.
I'mm looking for those of you who've had 3 or 4 level fusions to se hoe they've help or hurt.

Fred Schultz

• Hi Fred,

Welcome to Spine Health. It's important to have faith in the surgeon/s treating you and understanding and being comfortable with their recommendations. Everyone has different experiences with fusion, some good, some not so good. You have to ask yourself whether or not you are willing to take the risk in order to have a better quality of life. Only you can answer that question.

Someone will be along soon to give their experience with this type of surgery. In the meantime, keep doing your homework. This is a surgery that once done, cannot be undone. So don't step into it lightly.

Once again welcome to Spine Health.

• My last & 2nd fusion L4/L5/S1 (in June 2008) went fine the first few months but now i'm in more constant pain than before. Now i'm quite sure that I had something to do with it, feeling better & pain free meant 'go about my usual business' acting as if I was healed. Well, I'm paying for it now!

It was just such a great (and forgotten) feeling to be pain free in the lumbar area, no leg pain, no constant feeling of getting kicked in the right tsetse (all back with a vengeance now).

If you wind up having another fusion, please don't be stupid like I was! My first fusion (L5/S1) many years ago went well and I was even able to umpire my kids baseball games (I was much younger then too), but as with all things and my normal penchant to continue to do things I'm not supposed to. That led to the slow ruination of the other disks. I turn 48 Monday btw... after mowing the lawn yesterday (I have been putting that off for a week now) I'm seriously thinking of having to hire some kid to do it from now on.

So, be careful and as Hag said, the outcome is not for certain and decide if it's worth the risk.
This discussion has been closed.