Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just can't take it anymore..

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
I'm Misty and I've been dealing with back problems since I was 15. I'm new to this website. I was reading up on back surgery and came across these forums and decided to sign up. So here's my story.

Ok so like i've said i have had back problems since I was 15. It started getting bad when I was 17 and that's when I finally went to the doctor and had a MRI done. It showed I had 1 ruptured disc L5 I think it is. Well I went and saw a neurosurgeon and he says "you are too young for surgery here are your options 1. Physical Therapy 2. Injections 3.Surgery" Well I did physical thereapy and the injections. After awhile the pain quit. I went months and months without having any problems. As the few years have passed it started getting worse. I just recently had a MRI done in April of this year and now my L4 and L5 discs are both herniated and I have another one that is slipped. I went and saw the same neurosurgeon..and once again he tells me "your too young" (by this time i was going on 21) that i needed to try injections (again). I told him I don't want injections..I don't want to do something that isn't going to help me. I'm tired of hurting, i'm tired of people telling me i'm too young..I'll tell you what i'm too young for..this horrible excruciating pain that i'm going through.

My symptoms have gotten worse over the pass couple of months. For the first time the other day my right leg and right foot were swollen and my foot went completely numb. That right there tells you hey something isn't right here. I get to the point to where I don't want to walk, sit or lay down. No matter what I do it hurts. I can't lay comfortably without have pains shoot through my legs or my back...I just can't take this anymore. Crying isn't doing me any good so i'm wasting those tears. I'm scared to get get older..i'm scared of how i'm going to be. I know i shouldn't let this problem scare me so bad but for once i'm scared of what the future holds for me. So i'm getting a second opinion from another doctor who helped my brother n law. So tomorrow I'm calling him and I pray to God that he can help me.

Already I feel better now that i know there are other people who share the same problems I do. I hope I can get some good emotional support from others and I hope I can do the same. God Bless you all and thanks for reading and letting me vent :)

• Hi & Welcome Misty,

You've found a good place here, lots of info & most importantly people who know what it feels like. IMHO, you really need to see an MD ASAP since you now have numbness/swelling, it can be a sign of nerve involvement and the sooner it's addressed medically the better. I would also suggest you try to get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion. I went w/ an orthopedic spine surgeon w/ fellowship training for my recent surgery. Please keep us posted on how it works out.
  • Thanks for the info I will. I'm calling a DR tomorrow that helped my brother n law out when he got his back surgery. I know how bad it is but without insurance it's so hard. I can't afford to get insurance. So right now it's just the waiting game for me. But I'm hoping that if I can find a dr that will say he/she will do surgery then hopefully i'll be able to get some kind of help.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i too ruptured 2 discs at age 15 and was told i was too young to have anything like that happen to me. :? needless to say, many years later, after becomning wheelchair bound, i found a doctor to help me and i had an immedate double laminectomy on L4L5 and was never in the wheelchair again!!!! :D sounds like it may be time to get a doctor who will listen to you and not just your age. :D you are old enough NOW!!!!!! good luck and whenever you need alittle moral support, log on!!! =D> hugsss, >:D< Jenny :)
  • Good luck, let us know how it turned out. Hope you have a better day & weekend.
  • So I called the DR today..got the appt set up..only bad thing is I have to wait until October 7th to go..because i'm a new patient..ugh..but i just hope it's worth the wait..
  • good luck Misty on the 7th!!! =D> i will be thinking positive for you. in the meantime, check out the forum and get to know some of us! :D see ya! :H Jenny :)
  • I, have suffered with back pain in one way or another since I was 15 years old. I have had three back surgeries not counting the one for a pain stimulator, I am also on quite a bit of pain medication plus lyrica for nerve pain I used it once before with success. I am not getting the same effect from it now my doctor has upped the pain med and my pain seems to be getting worse all the time i work full time 40 hours a week but am afraid my days are numbered, I am going to soon be 55 years old and have put up a good fight to this point but unfortunately my back seems to be winning the battle I do not want to quit working because it is a very easy job with no lifting to speak of I have a 20lb weight restriction. I feel very sorry for all of you who suffer from back pain I think it has to be the worst.
  • Hi, it doesn't matter your age, pain is pain. It distresses me when health care providers don't listen. I hope your appointment coming up goes well, be strong and be prepared with questions. Don't let them end the appointment unsatisfactorily (like I just did, I'm such a wimp). I am trying to avoid surgery. I spent the summer going to PT (spinal boot camp) and am going for a nerve block shot. I can sympathize with you on those days when you break down because you just can't take it anymore.
  • Hi Misty. I just joined this forum and am amazed at all the great information and caring people on here.

I felt like I was writing your post. I too have had back pain since 15 years old. I'm 26 now. Every single doctor has told me that I'm "too young" to even THINK about surgery. Most handed me mild painkillers and muscle relaxers, which never helped at all, ever. My insurance kept changing over the years and then my back was considered a 'pre existing condition' so this past year is the first time I've been able to try to treat it. I went to physical therapy like they wanted me to and now I have an appointment for a discogram on the 6th. Hopefully after the discogram we can talk surgery because I agree with you- the only thing I'm too YOUNG for is the constant excruciating pain every day of my life.

Sorry for the novel but I guess I just wanted to let you know that you certainly aren't alone. I hope you feel better and the appointment goes well.
This discussion has been closed.