Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DeltaLady's Foot Saga Continues

deltaladyddeltalady Posts: 610
:H Hi everyone,

Wish me luck today -- Going to a dermatologist today because my seroma in my left foot has gotten worse. Woke up yesterday and the whole top of my foot was swollen and had the red streak, indicating blood poisoning, going up my leg. (Not to worry, I have antibiotics.)

My massage therapist, who is also an RN, took one look at my foot when I arrived for my appt. yesterday and said that's it, I'm getting you to another doctor. She made some phone calls to other medical professionals and got me in to see this dermatologist today.

I'm trying to stay upbeat but again I've made great strides in the sciatica department and now my whole leg is sore and aching due to the foot. This foot issue has been going on since the beginning of June. My PCP had me go for an MRI, then sent me back to podiatrist, who told me he didn't have much experience with seromas but would try a certain protocol. I was the first one he'd seen in his 30 something years of practicing. I called him and cancelled my appt for this morning as it conflicted with the dermatologist.

Gee, you think when I hit the corner of the open dishwasher door right on the affected area of my left foot on Wednesday morning that may have done something! (LOL!)

~X( Sorry I'm being a big baby today -- just disgusted with this turn of events and being bounced around from doc to doc. :S

I'll let you guys know the outcome when I get back and thanks for listening.

Take care and have a pain free day!

• Judy, good luck today at your appointment!! :X i hope you get in with a doctor who knows exactly what to do for you!! =D> i don't like the sound of blood poisioning! you have been battling this for a long time now.. ~X( please let us know what happens Judy!! =D> Hugsss, >:D< >:D< Jenny :)
  • :D Well, this office seemed to have it together. I was put on yet another antibiotic and given a special cream and foot soak to use. So hopefully my foot won't fall off! :))( They also took more cultures and I go back on Monday for a follow-up.

Feel much better to know I have an antibiotic which should take care of any infection. 8}

Taking it easy today -- thanks Jenny for the well wishes.

• I was on another post today trying to figure out how you were. Glad you were seen by someone else and feel that they are treating it right. Man, it has been a long time with this stuff. I hope it clears up for you soon. Take care and put your feet up...Be thinking of ya! >:D< >:D< >:D< Love, Robin
  • Sorry to hear about your foot troubles. Hopefully this new doc will get you fixed right up! Good Luck!
  • Hi,

Went back to dermatologist today and saw the doctor. He examined my foot and took two biopsies (ouch) to send off to grow cultures. He doesn't think it's a seroma but some sort of uncommon, possibly fungal, infection. I'm just got back home and am laying here with an ice pack on my foot to numb it because I don't want to feel the soresness once the novacaine wears off (LOL!)

This doctor promises me that he will take clear this up -- I told him he would be my "go to guy" if that's true. Still has me putting some sort of cream, wrapping in warm towel twice a day.

Well, I guess my walking routine I started earlier last week is shot for a while -- one day I'll lose this weight (LOL!).

Chat later,

• Sounds like this new doc is on the ball! That is great news! I think he's going to get you fixed up better than new. Then you can get back to your walking. Until then put your feet up and take it easy! :-)
  • Thanks for the update. I am glad that the Dr is doing cultures to make sure he is treating it right. You have been dealing with this for so long, I am glad that someone is on the right track. Hope you can keep your foot up, and off of it so that it won't swell up so badly. I have been thinking of you and hoping things were going better. Consider yourself hugged >:D< and please keep up the updates. I will say a little prayer for you that it heals for you soon! Love, Robin
  • i know youre still waiting for tests results and hope your treatment can be established by those tests.
    i hope you havent given up on exercising. there must be something you can do to get a workout. see if you can come up with a program to work up a sweat. after all its just one foot thats out of commission. youre not getting any sympathy from me today. go for it judy...your friend pete
  • :D Hi All,

Well today marks 2 weeks from the biopsies from my foot -- still waiting on results. Saw the doctor on Monday and Friday of last week. Friday he put me on Lamisil (antifungal antibiotic) as some of the swab cultures came back with yeast. Foot is still draining every day and it hurts to put pressure on it as the fluid buildup has settled in the pad of my foot. I've been wearing my surgical boot from my prior morton's neuroma surgery to help take the pressure off the front of my foot.

I dread mornings as I wake up with a foot that been building up fluid all night -- you know the old cartoons where the show a hurt foot red and throbbing :))( -- that's what I think mine should look like in the morning. Once I'm up and walking around, showered and get the foot soaked in some warm water, it starts to ease up a bit.

So that's my morning whine 8} .......still hold on to hope that the doctor will figure this out and get this stupid foot to heal.

Hope you all have a pain free day!

• Oh, shoot- that has not been nice! I do hope this clears up for you soon!

Cheers - David
  • ~X( ~X( ~X(

Yes, I'm at my wits end with this foot. After many weeks of waiting for the biopsies to grow cultures, the culture came back with no indication of fungal disease. So now, the dermatologist has me on yet ANOTHER antibiotic which I take once a day for a month. This antibiotic is supposed to take care of atypical bacterial infections.

It will be five months at the end of this week that I have dealt with this infection in my foot. Unfortunately, since the biopsies were done in early September, the foot is now painful to walk on and my third and fourth toes are still giving me the peace sign.

Went back to my podiatrist last week and he was able to express some infection out of it. Saw him this week and he said it was looking better. No one seems concerned with the swelling in the pad of my foot that is causing me pain.

I need to walk for my back and this foot thing is keeping me from progressing in healing my sciatica.

I wonder if acupuncture might help? Or voodoo, or some sort of indian ceremony or the healing water of zanzaban?!! Just making up stuff.

Sorry for the long WHINE! The doctors truly seemed stumped so I may try an infectious disease doctor. More co-payments out the window.

Just want all you spineys to not take your feet for granted -- take care of them and don't let any little nick or cut go untreated. You need your feet!

Take care,

• Judy, sorry to hear your healing is not progressing like you would like... painful feet sound just that, painful!!!! perhaps a new doctor is the answer!! good luck in the future Judy!! you would think sciatica would be enough!! take care of the little doggie!! LOL!!! i know how happy she makes you!! L, Jenny
  • So sorry to hear about your foot infection. If it's not one thing it's another with us huh? We should all pitch in and send you on a beautiful spiney vacation on a carribean cruise with on call masseuses on staff. Now, that's the life! Anyway, I hope this gets treated once and for all and believe me, we won't take our feet for granted anymore. Hugs, Meydey :H