Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS Trial

stinger66sstinger66 Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Management
Had the scs trial yesterday, so far pain is somewhat better but the pain at the area where the leads are in is so intense it seems to override all other pain. Maybe this is normal?? Anyone out there care to comment who has went through the trial?

thanks, stinger66

• Hi Stinger! I was just wondering how you're doing with your trial. I left the forum for various different reasons but not because my pain was better. I am really kind of nervous about the trial especially because I know I will be on my own for most of the time. I was hoping you could update and let me know how the trial is going. Hopefully someone will come along and share their trial experience with you. I hope all is going well for you!
  • I did not experience pain in the area where the leads were inserted. I recommend that you contact your doctor and have it checked out. Is it pain at the incision? Is it internal pain? Does it change with changing the intensity of the stimulation?

• The pain is where the wires come through the back. It has been 3 days now & the pain is much better there. The stimulator is helping with back pain but not doing anything for the left foot pain. Hopefully that will get better also. stinger66
  • Unlike C. I had one heck of a time getting my trial leads placed. After two hours of trying to pummel through my scar tissue, I pretty much started bawling and asked them to stop. Just as I started giving up, the doc got the leads in and I went back to the little curtained off room where my husband was waiting for me. I admit to feeling pretty beaten up the next few days and, yes, the cramping pain
    I felt in my back distracted me from assessing how well the stimulator was working on my leg pain. Like you, I started feeling better in my back within a few days and then I only had two days of my trial left. On Wramblers' advise, I asked to keep the trial going two more days which meant the doc had to come in to work on Saturday. Its such a short time for such a big decision. Try turning it off for a couple of hours and see how you feel. Just a thought. Susan

• Have you had your programs tweaked? Please call today and ask to go in and have them tweak the programs and see if they can't find one that will reach your foot. I was encouraged strongly to go back in as many times as I needed, because that is the point of the trial - to tweak and reprogram as much as necessary to give you an idea what can be done.

Now that it's been a few days, tweaking may give you an entirely new sensation. Rare that the first few programs are the right ones. Please do call and see if you can get in for some tweaking. I buzz from my hips to my toes, but it took several reprogramming sessions to accomplish. I went back 3 times for reprogramming during my 5 day trial!! And my rep and doc were thrilled - they wanted me to get the best evaluation possible.

Oh, I also had major pain during my trial placement, and it took a few days to calm down. It wasn't until the 4th day that I was sure I wanted the permanent SCS.

Take care,

• From the trial lead insertion is one reason I was glad to have a long term trial. Mine lasted 8 days total. It took the PM 3 tries to find a passage up into my c spine so I was plenty sore.

If the insertion pain stays for 2-3 days it makes it harder to judge exactly what the SCS is doing. In my case, mine was for shoulder pain, so having the insertion pain really confused me as to what hurt!

After about day 3 things became less painful and I could tell what the SCS was doing.

I'd not hesitate to ask for a longer trial if you are unsure of what the SCS is or is not doing for you as well as a programming visit, or two, or three, etc: