Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6/24/09 L5/S1 PLIF Surgery Success

RosevilleTJRRosevilleTJ Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just wanted to share a bit about a successful L5/S1 PLIF surgery that I had on 6/24/09. Brief history: Herniated L5/S1 disk sometime around Sept 07. Had an epidural, worked great! Did too much in gym which led to really bad pain in early 08. Had an L5/S1 Diskectomy/Laminectomy in March 08. I never really got much relief from that, still bad pain in lower back, numb left leg and pain in left foot. Took 8 Norco/day & 9 Neurontin/day from March 08 on, continued to work after 6 week LOA. Two surgeons recommended surgery through front & back and said 9 ~ 12 month recovery. New surgeon from Kaiser recommended PLIF w/3month recovery (Much better). Had surgery 6/24/09, absolutely painful, had a real hard time controlling it, in hospital for seven days. Had great family help at home, bought a real nice walker with wheels and started walking within a few weeks. Really bad withdrawls when trying to taper Norco - completely stopped Neurontin at 7/28. Dr. recommended Suboxone, not sure if that was a good idea, did about a 45 day taper with that, no real issues other than one day of bad flu symptoms and several sleep deprived nights. Maybe would have been same with just Norco taper??? Anyway, it's now been over 9 weeks and I have ZERO pain, except when I sneeze :O and bending is still a bit uncomfortable, but overall, just standing, walking, laying down, and sitting is all good thus far. I'm walking 1 to 2.5 miles/day and walking in the pool every day too. I know many are not so lucky, and I truly wish and hope that everyone will find relief. Thank you to all that have posted as the information on this forum is so very helpful.
Take care and good luck to all,

• So good to hear of your successful outcome TJ! Pain free is not heard often enough on these forums.

Best wishes to you,

• So glad you have had a good outcome with your surgery! My PLIF/TLIF was June 9th. The first month was pretty rough, but I've been doing well also. On looking back, I should have stayed home longer, and not gone to work at 10 weeks. Still I am very happy about my results, and know it will improve with time and with what I put into it.

• I'm glad to hear your good news. So far I am a success story too and hope we both continue to improve. Thanks for sharing. With all the suffering we hear and share on this site, good news is always welcome.