Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What could this be? Pinched nerve?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
So for the past month or two I have had this weird issue where when I am eating something, chewing motions with my jaw, I will get this shock like sensation as though a nerve is being pinched.

I wasn't really able to consistently recreate it but as of last night, I can.

If I look towards my right side, and move my head up and down and starts opening my jaw wide and then closing it as though I am eating something, I can recreate the shock like sensation in my neck.

It does not radiate down my arm, it is contained to this one portion of my neck/trap/shoulder.

It appears to be directly at the base of my neck on the right side, and right above the collar bone. So if you were to put your fingers on your right collar bone, and move up to where your neck meets your shoulder, I can feel this shocking right there.

I don't have any other tingling or pain radiating anywhere and I was constantly doing this last night to see if it was going to work itself out and go away but it did not. However, the good thing is that it did not leave any lasting pain while I slept. I woke up this morning and tried again and sure enough, it's still there.

I'm wondering if this is being caused by a herniated disc in my neck or if it's being caused by a muscle every time I open my jaw wide enough at a certain angle, the muscle is pinching down on a nerve that is located in my shoulder area.

Does anyone have any idea what set of nerves, like c4-5 that would cause this to occur? Thank you in advance.

I've been to the doctor once and all he said was it is probably a pulled muscle. I have posture issues and have been addressing them lately.

• So after looking through the Internet for different types of things, I've come to the conclusion that I am experiencing a brachial plexus type injury. I can recreate this shock like feeling and it feels like it is coming from directly where the clavicle is. I have been reading and have found that the nerves come out from the spine, down to the neck, and then under the clavicle.
  • i too find that i get pain and wierd sensations when i move my jaw a certain way or bend my neck. my neuro surgeon told me that moving in that way can stretch the covering of the spinal column and pick up pain from below. but you really need a good test like an mri to see if there is any pressure on the spinal nerves. i would move my head and pain would shoot thru lower spine. dr said that it was not caused by my neck.
    i sure hope its muscular. keep getting opinions so that solution can be found....pete
  • I am always careful in reading the internet and using the symptoms to match a condition. A emg is a sure fire test to identify a brachial plexus injury. Have you recently been involved in some type of trauma, to have caused it like a MVA. Brachial plexus injuries are very rare and typically come with trauma like that of a car accident. Look at cervical radiculopathy and that will tell you what levels serve what areas. Also you may want to look at dermatone mapping, another useful tool. I had some what the same type thing going on and it was c5 nerve root and was effected on movement. Then again we are not doctors and I think you should be seen by a doctor to find the source of the problem.
  • Can also be an issue with the Brachial Plexus, but as Tamtam pointed out, this is not a common site for injury. MRI of the BP can be very helpful in determining if there's impingement or a mass.

Also in the area you described, there's what's sometimes referred to as the third occipital nerve. I've had a block done there to determine if it was an issue. It's very easy to rule it out as the culprit.

I would think that the best thing you could do, would be to map out your pain or "shock path" on a anatomical diagram and take that along with a list of all your symptoms and see your doc.