Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need advice

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
I had my hardware out last Friday, PLIF, 2 levels, same as last time with fusion, only reverse.
I still have steri strips on my incision and it still has scabs on it. But it is itching and driving me crazy. Does anyone know what I can put on this that will not be harmful to the incision this early in healing. Really is driving me nuts and I dont want to itch it and cause problems... ~X(

• It has been approximately 25 years since my husband intially hurt is back and has had steroid shots on 5 occasions. Now the doctors sees great improvement in his spinal stenosis and recommends surgery. Not sure if this is the best answer.
  • Love your heart. I have no answer but I sure feel for you.
    Healing is causing the itching.....I think.
    Sending a hug coz I wanna.... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • that poison ivy medicine works but check with dr because i'm not sure about after recent surgery
  • I have always been told the itch is from the wound/site healing - but that does not help when your going crazy does it? lol

It is dry which is why it is itching. I have been allowed to put PLAIN vaseline my surgery sites. Make sure it is PLAIN, not fragrances or lotions added to it. I also have been allowed to put triple cream or ointment antibiotic on. Both help with the itch. For the triple antib, I just buy the generic name brand - same with the vaseline.

Also if your allowed try taking some ( generic ) Bendryl orally. That has helped me a lot too.

Hope some of this is a help to you :)

• I forgot about the triple antibiotic. I have been having hubby rub aloe veera gel on it. It promotes healing but needs to be put on to often. I bet the triple antibiotic will last longer. It is drving me nuts. My incision is about 8 inches or so long. And has steri strips so it is hard to keep anything on it. But I will try that...Have a good night and thanks
  • :D I've been wondering about you too. You've had surgeries lined up like airplanes waiting to take off (LOL!).

As far as the itching is concerned, I have Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy Itch-Relief mosturizing spray (non irritating, no added fragrance) that I bought some time ago for an itchy area on my skin. I had a lot of success with it and you might give it a try. Since it's a spray, it's very convenient.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. How are your pain levels now since the surgery?

Take care,

• I know it burns but I always used a little alcohol on a cotton ball for breakthrough itch relief. Then used neosporin afterwards. The scab is probly itching but if your like me the strips may be causing it,too. I'm allergic to tape and bandaids and anything with glue on my skin. I had one incision that they used glue... I thought I would die from the itch.
    Good luck... It will heal soon and the itch will be gone!
This discussion has been closed.