Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery before getting disablity claim answer

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Spinal Stenosis
My husband has a severe case and is trying to get disability. His recent doctor visit is suggesting surgery to aleviate some os his pain and discomfort--how will this effect his disability outcome if this is done before he receives an answer. There are also other issues on his file.

• I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Depending on your husband's age, and the severity of his overal condition, it may not matter.

If he is a younger individual (say, under 50) with a high school education or better, and past work history is very skilled type of work, there is a chance he could be denied. This is because the regulations state that he has a good chance of doing way better with the surgery, and will in fact determine he will be better within 12 months of the surgery. Now, don't quote me on that because I do not have his medical records in front of me.

If he is over 50 and is limited to "sedentary type" work, has limited education or may be a high school graduate (but no college) and has done work that is very labor-intensive, there is a good chance he will be approved.

Each case is different and is approved/denied based on the merits of each.

Hope this helps. If not, feel free to send me a private message.
  • I had the surgery and they did more damage. They hit the sciatic nerve now I have ridiculapathy, drop foot, osteomylytis, several bouts of severe staff, major depressive disorder..blah blah blah! I cant do anything anymore. I filed for disability last year and an attorney missed the deadline for an appeal and I had to start over because it was dismissed. Any advice? anyway to speed it up? anything at all? my health insurance raised my premiums to almost 1000.00 just because i have workers comp claim< unreal eh? so now what. just wait 2 more years for them to make a decision> I had the spinal cord stimulato done as well and the infections keep coming back and theyve had to take them out and now this is the third time theyre trying to put another one in-OBVIOUSLY NEW DOCTORS, THOUGH! I feel so helpless and violated, like ill never get my life back. I'm 44 yrs old and ridiculously disabled!