Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

RefugeeRRefugee Posts: 100
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Health Insurance Issues
This is not mine cause im fighting for just the std right now cant imagine what it is going to be like when i reach the 6 month mark for ltd ughhhhh!!!

I just thought i would post this for anyone interested. We live in Oklahoma and ltd works this way. Once you have finished the std and are drawing the ltd and then get ssdi you can continue to draw the ltd for the life of the policy which in my husbands case is 30 months. Now with ssdi the ltd will be offset. What i mean by this is that the ltd takes the place of monthly pay for my husband and when he received the ssdi say that check was for 500 a month then if he was drawing 1200 on ltd it would then be 500 ssdi and 700 ltd. They keep it to match what you paycheck would be at 60% or at least his is 60% of pay. Making sure you cant pay off any debts you have accumulated or anything. Let me say that I am thankful they let him keep it. He had to fax them copies of the ssdi papers and everything but didnt have a problem. This is nice that he has it he did pay for it for years just in case something happened.

If anyone out there is on this i would definately check into this matter. I know not all companies are the same so it may be different but then again you never know.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Just so you are aware every LTD policy is different to some degree but LTD, overall, is not dependent on the state in which the person resides. Employers choose the LTD policy and there are a variety of LTD insurance companies but the basics of LTD are generally the same. Most often the policy will say it is "sitused" (in the state) in which the employer is located. So in your case that may be Oklahoma. My employer is based in Minnesota so even though I live and work in Arizona my LTD policy is sitused in Minnesota.

However, the state doesn't effect the overall essence of LTD policies. Most are very similar with just slight differences based on state required wording, regulations, etc. One similarity is that nearly all LTD policies offset benefits received from Social Security (and Workers' Comp and other income benefits). For those who have LTD they do get the advantage of funds coming in while applying (and appealing) for SS. If SS is awarded the LTD carrier will just calculate what they offset and how much is owed back to them.

The theory behind both LTD and SS is to provide the person only with a limited portion of their pre-disability earnings and not to allow someone to collect from various sources so that they are fully restored (or more than fully restored) financially.

The max LTD benefit I've ever seen for LTD is a 70% benefit but those are very rare. The norm is around a 60% benefit (the person gets 60% of what they earned before they became disabled).
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos