Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What drug do you use for break throughs?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
I am on Fentanyl 75 mg and after the drug got into my system, I was like WOW! It removed some much of my pain. Now only into my 6th patch change, it is not doing quite as well. I am blessed with having a Dr. who does not believe in a person being in pain. He also is very open to me researching ideas and then him & I talking about options at my appt.

SO with an appt coming up next week. I am asking for what people who are on the F patch use for break throughs, so I can start to research ideas.

• PS: I can't find the edit button for above post - some much of my pain is suppose to be - so much of my pain.
  • oxynorm {this is an instant} well 20 minute version of the long acting drug Oxycontin
    when i say 20 minute i mean that it takes about 20 minutes to get into your system
  • Both of you are also using the F patch?

How long does your breakthough med. lasts?

Sorry I meant to ask that question before.

• I use percocet for my BT pain. If it is muscle spasms I use Baclofen. The Percocet usually lasts about 4-6 hours. The Baclofen will usually get me through a bought of spasming.
    Hope that helped.
  • Oxycontin 80mg 2 x a day that's the long acting version and oxynorm 20mg i can have 6 in a 24 hour period .without them i would have no life .that's for all the narcotic bashers!
  • My Thanks to each of you who have shared with me :)
  • I have 2 meds for BT. On a daily basis, I use hydrocodone 10/500, usually 2 a day. My doctor also gives me a supply of Dilaudid (hydromorphone) to keep on hand, just in case I'm having a really bad day or if I have a flare that the hydrocodone can't help with. It's been several months since I've used the Dilaudid though..
  • Hi Beth
    How often are you changing the patch?
    Are you finding that the day before changing is when its not working like it did when you started the patch?

I had to go to the fentanyl patch when I could not swallow. I believe it was about 2 months into being on it Doc had me go from 50 to 75mg and then shortly after I went from changing it every 3 days to every 2 days per doc's orders..
    This was a few years ago but I do think this is what Doc had me do..
    I'm not sure if my info will help you but thought I would try to help.
    I now swallow better and take all my meds by mouth pills and liquid.
    hugs to all..Patsy

• Thanks again to all whom have posted.

I was HOPING I seen a difference on the 3rd day so it would be a easy thing to just change the patch every 48 hrs instead of every 72 hrs. But sadly - no. I have serious break throughs each day :(

I am also using Vicodon 750 2 to 3 x's daily with no success.
  • When I was on Fentanyl patches, I took 6 10/325mg Norco's a day for breakthrough pain. I got up to 100mcg of the patches in a year and changed it every 48 hours. Now I take 2 40mg Oxycontin's a day and 6 10/325mg Percocets daily (every 4 hours) for breakthrough pain.

There are other short acting pain meds to choose from such as Actiq (Fentanyl)lollipops, Dilaudid, Oxycodone IR (w/ no tylenol), Ms Contin IR, and Opana (IR).

I found that after taking Fentanyl patches for a little over a year that it was no longer working for me, and that is why I switched to something else. Take care
  • You take that much oxy dont you sweat or have hot flases, that is my side effect of the med, do you have any advice for me.

The vicodin which was my "miracle" drug yrs ago when I first got injured is almost worthless to me now :(

Almost - but you know that old saying "something is better then nothing". I am looking for something that will allow me to exercise. If I can get some of the weight off that I gained from setting around after I got hurt, I think it would help my pain. Sure could not hurt lol ya know ;)

The F patch is good, but not good enough for me to exercise :(
  • patches were a problem with me. if i sweated from doing something, they would come off and i would try tape to hold them on but it did not work. patches are about $100 a piece so it was too expensive. i have been on oxy-40 mg for 7-8 years and i have fenatyl lollipops for bt pain. they are great. i have mine compounded at a local pharmacy so they are cheaper. i seem to be the only one on the planet that uses them for bt pain. they are also known as atiq suckers. if you can, ask dr for a try. the molecules of fenatyl are so small, they go through the cells in your mouth. it takes about 15 minutes to finish and it lasts for about 2 hours. also, they taste great
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Norco/Vicodin helped me for a long time but unfortunately its effects went away and I had to switch to another short acting med. It's so true that taking something is much, much better than having nothing.
  • I can't imagine nothingness.... I only get breakthrough relief with a shot of stadol in the booty or steroid/lanacane shot directly into the pain areas in my spine that are getting no relief from a pill, like the 8 shots I got today that may last 2 days if I'm lucky, then back to the halfa$$ help of a pill. Which is better than nothin!
  • Do you have access to a pool? It is such a great work out, low impact, and the resistance from the water is great, without having to use weights, even just by walking around the pool, or aqua jogging. Just thought I'd throw that out there for you, sorry if it's been mentioned before, I should have read back before replying!!!
    I hope that you do find something that will help you with break-thru relief!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • No matter what dosage you're on you still get those pesky hot flashes and beads of sweat on your forehead. I recently watched a program of a woman who had a persiration problem (not from oxy though) and she had botox inections which maade her problem come to a screeching halt. I believe that this may work for us also, I'm thinking of looking into it if and when I can get past the fear of the needles.

terihay said:
    You take that much oxy dont you sweat or have hot flases, that is my side effect of the med, do you have any advice for me.
  • My doctor refuses to give me anything for the BT pain. I used to take Oxyfast? Or maybe Oxycodone? It was a liquid that I used a dropper and mixed it with fruit juice. It worked out great for me. When I was forced to switch PM doc's my new one took that away from me and also lowered my dosage of Oxycontin. So now I'm in misery and there's not much I can do about it. I end up abusing Aleve, the otc stuff, I can take up to 300 of them per month easy. I doubt that I even have a liver left at this point. But what the heck, as long as my doctor is happy I guess that is all that matters. So far today ( a really really bad pain day for me) I'm already up to 11 Aleve in less than 16 hours. And yes, I have a great deal of tummy pain from taking too many of these over the last 5 years.
  • I'm feeling for you.... I'm wide awake this late for the first time ever. I'm tired of crap not working..... There has gotta be something out there for this. I think it's top secret, LOL. I bet f there was a cure we'd be the last to hear about it! Seriously, then there wouldn't be suffering from this constant chronic condition and drs would be outta business... So why give us the glory of relief. Who are we in the big picture. Evidently not the ones getting in on the secret.
    I'm just rambling!!!! So tired of being sick and tired.

• I am so sorry to hear of each of you who still suffer :(

I do have access to a pool at our local YMCA and need to get over my own self pride and be willing to ask for help into and out of it !

Thanks again to all who have posted :)
  • Please don't take all that Aleve- you're going to kill your GI tract as well as bring on cardiovascular problems. The limit is 2 a day. Please talk this over with your doctor and tell him your reduced dose of Oxycontin isn't helping and that you have a lot of breakthrough pain. If he doesn't listen, then it's time to move on and find another doctor. It's just not worth hurting your stomach like this and you will regret it later on. I'm saying this because I care and I don't want nothing bad to happen to you. Take care
  • Hi Beth. I have been on Oxycodone HCL (no acetomeniphin) since June. Some people here have mentioned it would be good for you BT pain, I would agree. Right now I dont take anything extended release and only use the Oxy. It starts to work on me in about 15 mins. or so, and I would say it lasts at least 4 hours. I dont have much experience with pain medications though, and havent taken them much before June. Hope you find something soon. Have a great weekend!
This discussion has been closed.