Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Respond on effects years after surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello there I am a Newbie, but have years of experience with a C5-6-7 surgery and recovery. Herneated discs at C5-6-7 in my swimming pool in the summer of 1995 and the effects showed in Nov 1995 with horrible pain in left shoulder, neck and back. Surgery Dec 1995, week before holidays. Cervical collar for 12 months and slow process for perfect fusion and not really a problem for most of ten years. Then I had a few scares that I injured something as fusion limits movement and neck is a barometer for the weather changes. But things were really fine until a couple of years ago.

Here is my question. Has anyone experienced allergic reaction or rejection of the titanium plates? Or what about sensitivity to cold and a lower body temp? After 19 years with the plate in place, I have had these symptoms for the last year or so. My temp is 97 most of the time. Had trouble for the last 12 mos with allergies and blocked sinuses, itchy neck, hives and rashes along my neck, scalp along occipital bone. Also tingling in fingers, elbow and shoulder. Dr. said my sinuses were completely blocked yesterday. After applying heat to my neck, my sinuses opened. If I remove the heat they close up tight. AM I REJECTING the plate? Having a reaction to it? I am wearing a heat pad on neck now, and that seems to relieve some of the symptoms. Anyone with this experience?

Thanks
Santafe
advertisement

Comments

• I don't have any experience with the problems you're having, but wanted to welcome a fellow neckie to Spine-Health.

I think the weather does play a part in how we feel with the plate and I'm looking forward to a painful winter.

Does your doctor think you're rejecting the plate? Seems like it would be a delayed reaction, but what do I know? Could the tingling and arm problems be from another disc having problems due to pressure from fusion? That's not uncommon.

Anyway, welcome to Spine-Health.

Cath
  • I have not talked to my neiro for over five years. My Intern just gives me a stare, sort of. But he yells at me on the sinuses issue. No one will give an answer on the rashes or hives, except possibly rosacea and anxiety. I think there is a lot more there. Honestly the heat from this little sticky pad seems to be helping. I'll talk with some more people on Monday. Thanks for the Welcome. I'll just watch and read. Thanks again.
  • have you had another mri done lately to see whats going on in your neck? it does seem a long time to be rejecting the hardware but as they say everyones body changes so who knows.I agree with cathy on the arm issues could be a new disc problem causing that.I can't say that your neck problem isn't causing the sinus congestion because when i had a sinus infection last week i thought i was all cleared out when i went for a massage the therapist was working on my shoulders and my sinuses got so filled up all over again.The pressure i got was incredible.I felt better after he was done and i got to blow my nose and clear it all out,but i was shocked that my shoulder area could cause so much pressure on my sinuses. Good luck with your problem.
  • Hi Santafe,

Welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find some very useful information. As far as the rejection issue, I don't really think that is it. I had hardware rejection and it happened within in days of it going in. Now that is not to say the hardware hasn't shifted or something to that effect. I agree with the others that you may need some new films to look at what is going on. Keep in mind you have 2 sinus cavaties at the base of your neck as well. So it very well could be associated with inflammation of sorts as well as a sinus infection. This is the time of the year for sinus infections to start depending on where you live as well. Once again welcome to spine-health. Keep us posted on what the doc says. Good luck.
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,599
    Sinuses come in 4 standard varieties (bilaterially) Frontal - ethmdoid - sphenoid - maxillary - none of these (in all of the X-rays i've seen or shot)are located at the base of the neck. I'd be very excited to learn more about the sinus's at the base of the neck! please provide additional information!!

Completely on target about rejection - if it was to happen ... it would be within days or weeks tops after surgery. - Unless there has been some drastic change in your body chemistry that "could" make a delayed reaction possible - Highly unprobable though.

We apreciate your efforts to keep our forum, safe, sane, and accurate!

D
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • The Carotid Sinus at the bifurcations of each of the carotid arteries. A different type of sinus, yet a sinus all the same.

Divers have to be concerned with all sinuses as well as the carotid sinus. Wearing a suit with too tight of a neck seal or a hood that is too tight around the neck, can cause carotid sinus squeeze. This can prove fatal underwater. Since the carotid sinus controls the blood pressure to the brain, any "confused signals" by pressure being exerted on the sinus, will cause the body to adjust blood pressure to compensate. This becomes a vicious circle and can prove fatal.

Just a little trivia for the late night hours.

"C"
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,599
    there are "sinuses" located in other parts of the body (heck there are sinuses in the heart).... but they don't fill up with fluid that can be drained by blowing your nose. You wouldn't want to drain your carotid sinuses. Located within or near those cartoid sinuses are what are called carotid baroceptors .... In the cases of severe hypertention .... gentle massge to the carotid baroceptors can result in an immediate reduction of BP. Their job is to monitor the preasure and provide a feed back loop to the vascular system.

Nasal sinuses - carotid sinuses - coronary sinuses - are all indeed sinuses - but IMHO ..... none of them would have much to do with neck pain - unless maybe your suffering from a carotid aneurism. If you are .... I'd hope your reading this in an ER.

More late night trivia, What a fun game!
    I get to prove what a pompas jeck I can be .... Sorry Tam Tam .... you know I am one of your biggest Fan fan(s)

D
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
advertisement