Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back from Sedona trip

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:36 AM in Chronic Pain
Well, I made it back from my trip. And it was beautiful! But not without mishaps. The second day I slipped on a rock while hiking and It was a down hill forward slip. I caught myself and didn't fall. Not to much damage done. a slight twinge and increased pain. But I was having such a good time, I wasn't about to even think about it. As a mater of fact I've found that when your mind is on something you enjoy, you tend not to feel your normal pain. And in this case, a little more.
But on the next to last day, I was on a "vortex experience" With a expert on vortexes, or vortices's and meditation, which I had never done. We were having beautiful thunder storms with loud thunder and lightning putting on quite a show for me. Or in my honor as I would like to think. lol. When on the hike to another vortex site, I slipped forward on a rock and into a squirrel hole or something similar. And I felt a stabbing and massive twinge in my left lower back. That made me scream out with pain. My tour guide was astounded and asked if I was alright. I said it's just something I have to live with and we won't let in get in our way.
After going back to the resort as the night went on, so did the pain. And in the morning I realized I had hurt myself much more than I originally thought.
The last day was miserable, but I tried to concentrate on the beauty surrounding me and not the pain. Plus I don't take all the meds I'm prescribed. And therefor have built up a reserve. And that came in handy, when I needed a extra breakthrough med.
The plane trip back was the worst. After sitting for over 2 hrs. I couldn't get up out of my seat. Embarrassing! But I made it with my wife's' help and holding on to things and pulling myself up with the back rest of the seat in front of me.
I Think that now after a few days, I'm 50% better and hoping that things will get better on there own with time and laying low.
I think that this is why I take a pass on many opportunities to do things and go places. Cause when things like this happen out of your secure inviroment, it's much harder to deal with. And you so wish you were home!
But, I can't let chronic pain "steal" all of my life!
Good luck, Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• thanks for sharing your experience. i can relate to the concerns of a person who wants to have a little life rather than just sitting around. its great you got out and enjoyed yourself. i guess we just have to be extra carefull. do you use ski poles to help balance yourself. when i was trying to hike they were very helpful. i got a few more years out in the open. dont ever give up your enjoyable times...just do everything you can to avoid injury....pete
  • I am so sorry to hear that your trip was not as good as it could be. I know EXACTLY how you feel not being able to get up. I was in a very crowded restaurant last week sitting in a very uncomfortable booth. When it came time to leave, I could not get up. Once my husband helped me up, I could not straighten up. Everyone in the place was saying is she OK? When I finally made it to my car I just fell over the hood in excruciating pain. I was with a bunch of family members and I was mortified. I felt like I had embarassed all of them! Needless to say I won't be trying that again too soon.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    is, for some reason embarrassing to us and it shouldn't be.It's been a way of life for us for a long, long time. I let things like that control me or the way I lived my life for to long. We don't want people to feel sorry for us and we don't want to cause a spectacle. Or bring any kind of attention to ourselves. But jj, don't let chronic pain "steal" your life from you! If people try to make a big deal of it. We need to say, I have a few days like this, but life goes on and I'll get over it. Even if that's an understatement. Sounds like you and I are alike and don't want to draw attention to ourselves.
    Pete, you're so right! If I had a hiking staff, that might not have happened at all. Whats worse is I make them out of Manzanita wood as a hobby.
    So ,PLEASE, don't let chronic pain "steal" anymore of you life than absolutly nessisary!
    Good luck,Jim

Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • :D Sedona sounds wonderful -- so glad you enjoyed your trip. Pictures? Please post.

Take care,

Judy
  • Sedona is so beautiful and peaceful!! :X what a great trip Jim!!! :D Jenny :)
  • Thanks for sharing with us.
    I am so happy you were able to enjoy MOST of your trip.
    We spineys have to be soooo careful walking on uneven ground don't we?
    You are so right.....we can't allow chronic pain to steal our lives.
    Happy to have you back with us on SH.
    Patsy W

• Enjoy your life by "living it" and you will have no regrets. Sedona is a very incredible place and it leaves an imprint on anyone who has ever been there. I hope you have many more trips (not the fall on your face type) and enjoy them to the fullest.

"C"
    I'm computer challenged, and don't know how to post pictures. But I'll give it a try. It is a beautiful place,mystic,and cosmic.
    Jim
  • Right! I left out the part about when I fell across my car in the parking lot I set my alarm off! It was quite a night.
    JJ, I can't think of anything worse. If I fell across the hood of my car and set the alarm off. I would die of embarrassment. But you need to forget about that. I'm sure everyone else has. Don't let one incident like that rob you of the good times with your family. Easy for me to say, it didn't happen to me.
    But better to laugh at the situation than to cry.
    Good luck, Jim
  • Sorry things didn't go as planned; but glad you were able to enjoy some of it.

I think I will have to research these vortex things. Sounds like something my sis in Alaska would be very comfortable with.

And as far as not letting the pain dictate, I couldn't have said it better. Just do so in moderation... Good thing you had your 'back up' plan! And the trips home, for me - are always the worst. That is when everything that did not go wrong during the trip generally happens. I am usually so ready to just be home and relax that everytime something negative happens, it compounds things exponentially!

Glad you made it home... Take care and recoup!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.