Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

top of left foot agonizing pain in morning

Jim_LJJim_L Posts: 189
This used to happen only occasionally but after my June 2008 L4/5 fusion w/hardware bolting them to S1 (previous surgery of S1/L5 was many years ago), these flareups have occured more frequently.

What happens is I find myself waking up in the morning with the heel of my right foot pressing against the top of the left foot. I thought this was causing the pain. This morning at 3am I awoke to the same thing but in more massive agonizing pain. I lay in bed for some time moving my leg around and rotating my foot and trying to reposition myself, lying on my stomach, sides, back to relieve the pain which didn't.

I eventually got up barely able to put weight on my left leg and made my way into the kitchen and micro'd a wet cloth to put some heat on the foot to no avail (my oxy pills are starting to kick in now).

The pain has never lasted this long or been so intense & crippling. I normally get pain and lotsa numbness in the left leg (post surgery) when I stand more than a few minutes.

I'm beginning to think it's caused by the (failed) surgery and the position I normally sleep (on stomach).
Anyone else have this type of pain & any idea if it's a bad side effect from surgery? It's almost 5am and it still friggin' hurts. Normally it would have gone away within 5-10 minutes. It happens maybe 3 outta 7 days.

• :< So sorry to hear you are having foot pain ~X( definitely not fun.

I haven't had surgery but have had sciatic pain that shot into my foot. I think you might be on to something about the position you're sleeping in. Why else would the pain only happen during a sleep cycle?

You might try icing your lumbar region at night before you fall to sleep just to see if this makes any difference in the foot becoming painful.

I'm sure other people will post who've had surgery and can give you more helpful advice.

I hope you're feeling better Jim and take care,

• Ok well maybe I'm still a little crazy! Lol! But I too have this crazy and excruciating pain on the top of my left foot! And like you I keep trying everything to get rid of it and its when the pain pills finally kick in that it stops and I am able to go back to sleep.
    I awoke from fusion on 8/13 with no feeling in either leg except for the front of both thighs. (for more details read my "terrified" post in surgery section) gradually my right leg has come back to about 80%. However the left leg is at maybe 20%! As soon as the feeling started coming back this pain started! And its only when I'm sleeping?! Except for PT and my lame 40 foot walks limping behind my walker I am in bed the rest of the time. But this pain only comes when sleeping.
    Hopefully someone will have some good advice for us!
  • It sounds like severe nerve pain Jim. Maybe something has changed in your back. When was your last MRI? For my foot I would elevate it and and wrap a moist heat pad around it. But some days just a breeze from the window was excrutiating. I hope you find some relief soon.
    Faith M
  • When I stand, as in doing dishes, my left leg goes numb in about 30 seconds (a lifelong occurence prior to my first fusion). I could hit it with a hammer and not really feel anything except the normal tingles almost like cold water running across & down the leg (pain ignores gravity...;> but i'm ok when pushing the lawn mower. Go figure...

My last MRI was after the June 08 fusion to see the progress. Of course I've been doing things I shouldn't like shoveling snow off the roof last winter & the porches and the driveway...;>)
    And crawling on rocks at the beach...;>)

I'm going for a physical Oct 7th for new blood tests (diabetes) and finally schedule a followup on my sarcoidosis. But yes, the back is worse, is it the same disks that were fused or other crunchy bits...?
    I'll ask Mr. Owl... 1, 2, 3...