Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

scheduled for spondolythesis surgery found out I am pregnant

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am scheduled for disc removal L5/S1 and fusion for incredibly painful spondyliothesis and large herniated disc on Oct.1. I have had epidural steroid shots which helped a little. I still require constant pain killers and have trouble sitting or walking much.

I found out I am pregnant today.

Is it possible or adviaable to go through with the surgery? I know there are risks to the baby, but are they more then 9 months of pain killers? This was obviously a complete surprise. And I am not sure what to do.

• All I can say is check with your OBGYN and your surgeon as soon as possible and see what they advise.
  • I have to agree with Lisa check with your Doc's
    You may be surprised and the pain might be less while being pregnant..It may sound ridiculous but I know many women that had their back pain ease up while being pregnant.
    Hugs to all Patsy
  • I found out I was pregnant right before having my MRI. I couldn't have the MRI unless it was an emergency so I waited after the baby was born. Found out I have a herniated disk pinching nerves and now I'm having another fusion in two days. My back and leg pain would come and go throughout the pregnancy and my obgyn prescribed physical therapy(that was a joke) and Tylenol with codeine for when the pain was bad. She said it was ok to take pain pills later in the pregnancy that it would just make the baby sleepy. Also my doctor highly recommended a c-section because of my back problems and everything went well. The pain did get worse many months after I had him and instead of the leg pain coming and going it stays constantly . Let us know what doc says and good luck