Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sound familiar to you?

MckGeneticsMMckGenetics Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello, I am 24 years old and I have scoliosis. I had surgery in 2003 fusion with Herrington Rods T1-L2, post operative pain ever since. Now I have arthritis in the parts that aren't fused, and possible sciatica with pain in my legs and feet. My legs and feet feel like they are on fire after only 15 minutes of standing or walking. I'm priviliged enough that I can sit up to 30 mins without adjusting my posture. My feet feel like giant blisters when I get out of bed in the morning. It hurts to sit up straight or to slouch. To sum it up, it basically hurts to live a normal life.
At first the doctors told me the pain was all in my head because they couldn't find anything on the myriad of images. Now I'm being passified with injections. I have had numerous nerve blocks and trigger point injections, facet injections, epidurals, accupuncture, massages, TENS, PT, painkillers and muscle relaxers, nerve pills, etc. You name it, I've probably done it or taken it. The sad thing is I am a yoga instructor and teach body awareness when I can hardly keep my own pain under control.
I'm stressed if you can't tell. I'm having Radiofrequency Ablation in the morning. But I will tell all if it was worth it or not.
Not looking forward to it. I'm so tired of the temporary fixes, I want something permanent to get rid of my pain. But looking at all of these posts it doesn't look like there's anything out on the market just yet.
I'm really trying to stay optimistic but it's getting pretty heavy. Anybody got a good joke? Is anyone else in the same boat?

• two old guys , jim and pete are down town sitting on bench. jim mentions to pete BOY PETE YOURE REALLY WALKING WELL. pete replies I GOT THIS GREAT BACK TRANSPLANT IN THE AMAZON. HERES THE TRIBE'S WEBSITE...so jim is gone one month. he returns to bench and is limping badly. he lifts his shirt and shows pete. OMG THEY GAVE YOU MINE! says pete....

be careful and make sure your surgery is FDA approved!!!

ps good luck with procedure tomorrow ... pete
  • Good luck with your procedure today...sure hope it helps you. I'm scheduled for the same procedure (radiofrequency nerve ablation) on Wednesday. Like you, I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was very young and, at that time, in the late 50's, I was told there was nothing they could do for me and that I would "grow out of it". My scoliosis is an "s" curve located between my shoulder blades and, by looking at me, you probably wouldn't know I had it, my left shoulder is slightly lower, but I have suffered with the pain, non-stop, all these years. I gave up a long time ago on trying to get any help for this condition. I'm glad I didn't have any corrective surgery because, with my luck, it would only have made my condition much worse. The procedure I'm having on Wednesday is for low back pain. I had a coccygectomy almost 2 years ago and have been in much worse pain since then. I have really bad pain while sitting and lying down, I do, however, get some relief while standing. I've almost run out of options, treatment-wise, and hope I can get some relief from this procedure, as well as you.

Please keep us informed. I hope this will provide some pain relief for you. I know what it's like to be young and in so much pain.

• I'm sorry for your pains..
    I will be thinking about you and I hope you find the answers you need.
    I,m glad you found S.H....

Hugs to all Patsy
  • I had two Harrington rods in my back for a year. The most painful year i've ever spent in my life. They finally took them out. The pain is still there , and always will be, but nowhere as bad as with the rods.

• hey mck we chatted briefly last nite. i hope all went well for you and you get relief.
    we are from same area,and i cant always use referral on different doctors.
    i'm thinking of you and hope to chat really soon
    take care
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • You're still able to teach. That's amazing! I just had a 3 level cervical fusion and my doctor told me to find another career. I've been in the fitness industry for 40 years! Yoga has some positions I will never be safe doing as I am.

You are so young. They keep coming up with new things all the time.

I used temporary fixes for about 17 years so I could keep teaching. I knew once I had the fusion I'd have to change my life. Good that you are able to find fixes. It's not fun but you're not alone. The human back is a mystery. It is so venerable.

Good thoughts going your way!
  • Thank you all for replying so sincerely. This is a great support group.

I had the procedure this morning. I'm in a lot of pain from it and I came out with more numbness than what I went in with (but it hasn't even been 12 hours since I had the procedure). I'm taking it slow, hoping my nerves settle down and everything works out for the best. I was under "twilight anesthesia" so I could still respond. However, I felt every injection and was in so much pain, I don't remember responding to any of the doctor's questions. So I'm kind of worried about all the numbness right now, but I trust my doctor and I'll keep you posted.

I have been poked, pinched and prodded with every size needle in medical history. So far this, and the facet injections, to me, are thee most painful things I have ever put myself through. The facet injections in my lower lumbar only lasted two days so I'm hoping this will be longer lasting. For the past few months, the low back pain has been taking over all the rest of the pain in my Thoracic and Cervical areas. (Funny how that works!) Since February, it's been increasingly painful from L2 to my feet. No amount of rest or exercise or drugs help.

I still have a contrast MRI on Wednesday to figure out if my scoliosis in the lower lumbar (which isn't fused) is causing further disc damage and pinched nerves and sciatica. Results on Friday.

Thanks for "listening" and being supportive. It's good to read that there are people out there like me with similar stories and situations. Thank you so much for sharing.
  • Thank you so much for posting so soon after your painful procedure. I was thinking of you yesterday and hoping all was going well. I'm having the same procedure today. I've gone through all the painful injections, also, and have gotten no relief from any of them. Hope this one helps our pain. I know what you mean about the lower back pain taking over the pain in the thoracic area. I guess the the most painful area dominates. Will let you know how it goes today. From what I understand, this procedure can take up to 4 weeks before you know if you will get any relief from the pain.
This discussion has been closed.