Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hurts to brush my teeth

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
It is my third day of this. I have continued to work (gardener) - so my job is very physical. I am wondering if this is just a strain or something with my neck. I am waiting things out - usually if I have strained things, it will pass...so as I wait for this to pass or not...

Pain starts at the neck, top of my shoulder, thru the bicep and on the top/inside of the forearm, the wrist into the thumb and pointer finger. I cannot get "enough" pressure when brushing my teeth. I woke this morning with such spasms into my right shoulder blade I couldn't move. You know the kind that you have to lay on the floor. I still have no tingling/numbness in the fingers - just lots of pain. I can wake up with numb hands - but not too often thru the day.

i even get alot of discomfort/pain (nothing as bad as the neck and back - but it doesn't help to add to the pain) into my right buttocks when my right side seems to flare up.

any takers...patti - i have a full day of repeat tests next week and an appt with the nuerosurgeon. thanks ahead of time

• Ok its early on a mon, morning i'm fresh so i'll give it a try :D One question first you said you have a full day of repeat tests? What did the first set show if anything? Your arm pain and hand pain could be coming from a disc in your neck,sounds like you have some muscle weakening as well.Or if nothing shows on the test could be a pinched nerve somewhere around your neck that goes down your arm.Just because your not experiencing numbness or tingling doesn't mean that it isn't an impingement somewhere.Your butt pain,could be siatica.Have you had that pain before or does it seem to be in relation to your arm pain?Did they start around the same time.If your neck is in bad enough shape you can get pain in your lower body as well.You definitely need more tests to figure out what is going on.Hopefully your next set will give you some answers.Good luck!
  • the tests (1st time) a set of xrays with Flex/Extension. Repeat cervical MRI (last one 1/08). Yes, the butt pain occurs when things get really painful on the right. When the right calms down, so does the butt. Also, each time I had had injections, radiofrequency performed on my neck, my butt, esp. on the right would hurt as bad so the neck the day of the injections. Doc thought that was wierd.

I am getting a lot of weakness, never really had this before. I had a CT scan at an er in May - went due to a long duration of pain, doc sent me - that showed a moderate herniation at c56 - but new doc nuerosurgeon wishes to have a new mri (ct just shows him shadows?) this is very unsettling - and painful. What is going to happen next?!

the doc's seem to make a big deal about the lack of numbness - but man of man this pain is something else - I have to say in the last 2 1/2 years since this started I have not had this happen before - lots of surges of pain down the arm - but this is not coming and going....just there.

thanks for your reply

• Alot of doctors seem to focus more on the numbness then the pain because they can't guarantee that anything they do will get rid of the pain but the numbness shows much more pressure on the nerves.I had numbness on and off.When i finally had surgery i was told straight out it may or may not help the pain.I had some nerve damage and when i over do it the pain does come on badly.Sounds like your herniation is pressing on nerves which is giving you the pain.Don't let your doc. tell you that your butt can't be involved because it certainly can.I had a very bad neck and had pain,weakness and numbness in all my extremeties.It affected my entire body.if you have any more questions you can always PM me anytime.
  • thanks to all of you over the months with help and guidance. But this week has been a real doozie and not only has the painful neck to thumb tooth brushing experience been happening but I have been having some bladder problems.

Here's the deal. 2 times while at the computer I have found myself "wet" and didn't know that it had happened. It was not a full empty the bladder, but very wet enough to have to change clothing. Yesterday while working, I felt it happen (this time a little more bladder emptying) but I didn't start it, and couldn't stop it! I work outdoors so this was a very interesting experience to say the least!

Now I am 43 and when I cough or sneeze I have to be careful, which I think for most women this is. And also, I am having my period, so at first I thought, maybe the apparatus pushed my urethra and that's the cause. but now not so sure.

I don't know why exactly I am sharing this...I am just so sick of all of this! As to date, I have tried all the conservatives: injections, radiofrequency, PT 4 times, botox injections, traction, rest/exercise. The doctors are stuck on how bad my muscles are (botox didn't even relax my muscles) -

When do they begin to look at the moderate heirniation, bone spurs, ddd and arthritis I have in my neck!? GD - how bad do I have to get? Well, if they were waiting for me to pee myself I have officially done that now!

I have a day of xrays and repeat mri on the neck this coming tues. I have prayered everyday that what they need to see will show up! I am a mother of 2 young kids, run my own business and have 2 elderly parents. I NEED TO GET THIS TAKEN CARE OF!

thanks for the vent - my worst fear is to be dismissed next Tues. - this appt. is with a leading neck guy in my area and I know that his opinion will mean the end of my medical journey if he doesn't feel I am bad enough! I just believe that there is something amiss in my neck, and MRI's don't always see it all! I have a lump that gets bigger with my periods on the left side of my spine in the neck area. Right now it is easy to find by touch - but my period will be over next week, and it may be harder to feel from touch. I have already had 2 lipomas removed from my hip/body cavity (1994) - I fear that I have another one! Those weren't seen on 2 mri's back then!

enough blabbing - gotta get to work!

• Patti,

Call your new NS ASAP. Tell the nurse about the wetting. It can be very serious. I would consider going to the ER and telling them about your symptoms.

Tuesday is just around the corner but they may have you go in sooner for an mri.

The neck is awful I know, but the possiblity of saddle anestsia is much worse.

Your herniations can get worse from lifting, sneezing, etc so what was moderate may have become a lot worse.

Hang in there .
  • I read the link that you suggested - and this all is so very scary. I have sensation in my saddle area. But am keeping an eye on it all. I found it interesting that they spoke about the lower extremities...when I would have a flare up like this before, the lower extremities are always part of it.

If I didn't have this appt on tues, I would have taken your advise and called the doctor directly. I am hoping to hold out until Tues. I have been 'dry' since Friday....so I am waiting - at least right now.

A question - the pain that is in my right arm is horrible. To try and pick up something with that is slightly heavy (more than a few pounds or so) is very painful. Especially in my forearm, wrist and shoulder. Is this what others feel?

Because of my job - I have to determine at times what is just muscle soreness or i irritated something that has nothing to do with my neck. Since this is still hanging around with no decrease of pain - I am starting to really think this is neck not an over-did-it thing.

thanks again.
  • I have bad arm/hand/shoulder pain.I really do not get a lot of neck pain either. Since I had my lumbar fusion I can truely tell the difference between muscle pain and nerve pain. The arm/hand pain is (for me nerves) the shoulder I am sure is muscle spasms.

At any rate the pain can be reffered to appear to be lower levels. The MRI and follow up appt will be great. If you can ask the MRI tech for a cd and you can look at it on your computer at you leisure. It is good to keep a copy in case you need to get a second opinion.

watch this,...do you really need that fusion???!?

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla