Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Practical Solution Ideas - Litter Box Cleaning After Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I will be undergoing TLIF next month (hopefully if insurance grants clearance). This morning, it just dawned on me that I will have a big problem after surgery. I know I won't be able to bend to allow for the fusion to take properly. Here's my delemma - I have 2 cats and need to be able to clean their cat box. I've checked into those automatic cleaning litter boxes but from what I have read, they're quite costly to buy and replace supplies, are very noisy and don't work that well to boot. I've also tried to locate a very long handled scooper but the longest one I can find is 16.5 inches long. Certainly not long enough to keep me from bending over. Putting the box up on a chest (atleast that would get it waist level) but I have one cat who is elderly and might not be able to jump up that high and my other younger cat would most certainly end up dumping the box and litter to the floor in a messy crash. I have to come up with some way of cleaning the litter box without doing damage to my back. Any suggestions welcome.

• Petco has a # of long handled pooper scoopers for dogs that I think may work for the kitty litter cleanups.
  • I bought a litter box from PetsMart that was about $30 that you roll over on its side and the clumps stay in a drawer and the good litter drains through the sieve. You then pull out the small drawer in the side with clumps and dump it. You could sit on a chair next to box and use your foot to roll it, make sure you wear your brace so that you don't accidentally twist.

Course, I don't do that, I figure I can milk the spiney excuse with my kids and hubby. I figure I should get something good out of this whole ordeal. :)
  • My, you just keep helping me out. Great idea, think it should work. I found a 36" aluminum dog scooper at Amazon for around $12. I will order once surgery date is confirmed. Thanks again. It's the little things you take for granted that can really trip you up.
  • Good idea-- problem is I have CP and using my foot for turning the litter box would not be an option for me. But if I had good balance and better use of my feet,it would certainly do the trick! Thanks for offering the idea. It might help out someone else with a cat.
  • I don't know how much room you have, but one thing that I've seen is where the litter box was placed on a card table with a set of "pet steps" pushed up against it. That way the litterbox is elevated and the elderly cat can easily climb the carpeted steps, which also help trap the litter from the paws making it easy to vacuum.

I also learned that for things I can't bend down to do, working on my knees helps. I have a little pad that I place on the floor and I will get on my knees and work on different things (including the litterbox). The only thing is to make certain there's something to grab that can help support my weight getting up off my knees.

• Since post surgery recovery is very boring, you could vacuum up the turds with the long extension handle and watch them rotate around and around in the vecuum. LOL
  • Worth a thuoght. Do have table in garage but would have to place in hall.My younger cat is quite rambuncious and might well knock box to floor. I might test before surgery to see if workable.
  • I almost peed my pants laughing at that thought! Yes, this is a real thing we have to figure out but I appreciate so much that we can have a sense of humor about it!
  • They have those disposable cat litter trays. They come with litter already in them. Just toss them after about a week, maybe less. They are very lightweight.

Good luck on your surgery.
  • I wish I had noticed this discussion earlier.. but for future reference to anyone that might benefit from it..

No-stoop, easy scoop litter box..

You can get the whole box system with the pivot thing and the scoop that all hooks together, or you can buy the super-long-handle scoop by itself and use it in your existing litter box. It's a bit on the expensive side, but it's also a long-term solution. :)
  • After I read your post, I wondered what I would do if I didn't have my husband because we have 2 cats.
    I thought about it several times and that really is a problem. I was watching the View yesterday, the 7th of Oct. and they were showing new products. There was a litter box that only needs to be changed every 90 days. I am sure it would be on their website. It was $300.00 but if I were in a position where I had no options I would probably buy it and then pay a neighborhood kid to change it. It has a special kind of litter that is like filtered. That is a real problem, I hope you can come up with a solution.
  • I admit I'm a bit OCD when it comes to cleaning, but 3 months.. that's just.. nasty. Even if you scoop the poo frequently, there's still the issue of the cats climbing in and digging around in 90-day-old, urine-soaked, bacteria-ridden litter, then walking all over your house, sitting on your furniture, walking on your kitchen counters.. :sick:

I can't imagine a thing they could do to a litter that would allow me go 90 days without changing it and not lose my mind. 8}

Probably the only exception to that would be a Cat Genie, but in my book, that's a toilet not a litter box. I'd love to have one of those, but I have too many cats. But then, I'd rather have too many cats.. 'cause they love me and keep me warm in the winter! :))(

• this was really something and it wasn't disgusting,
    it was really quite something - if you could talk
    a cat into using it. If I didn't have someone to
    change a litter box, that would be quite a problem.
    I hope she finds a solution.