Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone had any luck with home TENS?

LexigirlLLexigirl Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
I have a unit, and have used it some, but it doesn't seem to do much of anything to relieve my pain. Anyone had a good experience with a home unit? I might give it a try again if others have had success.

• Yes - I use it when I travel - driving - it drops the sciatic problem and keeps me from stiffening up too bad. At home as well to drop the pain when resting. Turn it off when getting in and out of the car, its just for when the muscles are relaxed.

I dont use the small pads that came with it, but use the large ones and stick them back onto the "plastic" pad and bag them when finished. I use water and soap to clean the area that I will use them on, just before hand. Sometimes will use rubbing alcohol, but that noramlly can irritate the skin bad!

I use this is for just sitting and applying it to an area of that the pain is coming from. For me, lumbar, but I place the pads in areas to get a X effect across the spine and paralell - to get 2 spots that it runs through the spine. When it is right, it feels really good and if it misses, just keep moving until you get it right. I normally have my sweetie help me get them positioned close and then turn it on and check what coverage I have, then move until it feels good.

Driving - I'll turn it on when I am on the hyway and dont have to move quickly - In city - I dont use it.

I find it drops the pain a level or so, works well when I am in a flare-up or to prevent a problem, when I am driving long distances.

• hi i have sent you the details in a PM
  • BTW - I have a Brit trained PT and he uses one of these. I do like it, a lot more settings on it and good patterns!
  • I used the unit and it was pretty good on my pain. It felt like a really good massage most of the time. I worked at an office and tried to wear it there but ended up with more stress trying to work with it. I would only use it at home or if I didn't have to get up at all. It works best if you use it while you lay down. I had good success with it but unfortunately insurance wouldn't cover me having my own personal unit.
    Good luck with yours!

• I've had my TENS since October, and I use it every day, all day. I couldn't survive a work day without it! Best advice I could give is to adjust the placement of the pads if it doesn't seem to be working very well. And try different programs if you're able. Not sure what kind of TENS you have, mine has two channels. I agree with Centurion45:I place the pads so the two channels send the electrical pulses in an X pattern. That seems to work best for me. A little experimentation might make all the difference. I also found that I like the 2.75 inch pads better than the smaller 2 inch pads. I think it's because it seems to put the electricity over a larger area. I also use a stretchy band that is designed to hold the pads and protects them. The two lower pads are right at my pants waistband and I tear them up pretty quick without the "girdle" as I call it. :) I was told to run it for 30-60 minutes and the effects would last another couple hours, but as soon as I shut it off the effects go away so I run it pretty much all day at work. I have two rechargeable batteries and use both every day.

All in all I love my TENS! Wouldn't make it through a day without it!
  • :D Like, Jay, when I was working, I used my tens the whole day. Always made sure I had back up batteries in my bag. I used it for my sciatica, had two Large pads on my lower back and two on hip/thigh to interrupt the pain signals.

I ordered the large, round pads as you get more coverage. I've also used for driving long distances to keep muscles from freezing up on me.

I wore my last tens unit out (LOL!) and got a new one last year. If you're not having success, please talk with therapist about adjusting the programs.

Take care,

• Thinking - reading all the success stories here I may give my TENS unit another try using bigger patches.
    I was blessed and my Dr. sold me 1 unit at his cost. Which was like 50.00 :)

• I have had a lot of good results with my home tens unit. I have both lower and neck cronic pain for 20 years now. I use pain killers along with it. I would never be able to use just a tens unit. I would have to leave it on full time if I had to get off the pain killers!

I have heard others that also had good luck, but I have heard others that have not had good luck..

I do believe it is independant per person.
This discussion has been closed.