Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having a Bad Pain Day

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
I am having a seriously bad pain filled day. My lower back feels like someone kicked me with steeled toed boots, and just pounded away on it. Also neck pain and severe headache. Just one of those days you want to crawl under a rock and let everything pass you by.

I go next week for the consultation with PM doctor for the SCS. I know that others have said that it really helps with leg pain, but does it help at all for the lower back? I have severe pain in both areas and truly want to find a way to overcome both areas of pain.

Hope others are having less pain today than I am.

• Misery loves company! :& Sounds like you have the "trifecta of pain" today -- so sorry! Can't answer your question about SCS but wanted to say I wish you didn't feel like a piece of poopie today. I'm not having a good day either but I think it's the barometric pressure outside. I've got the headache too and general feeling of "swimmy head" -- makes me stick to resting all day.

Pete should be getting close to getting his SCS so I know he can comment on his trial that he had and whether it helps back pain.

I know you're using all the tricks of the trade to try and feel better -- sometimes I just try to get some sleep in the hopes it will be better when I wake up.

Hang in there Kathy and PM me anytime you need to vent.

• I know what you mean by what you said and I'm sorry you're having a bad pain day. I had a stim trial long ago and it didn't help. I already went through a pain pump trial and my surgeon said it was best for me since I have a lot of back pain. During the pump trial I did get good coverage on my legs as well, and I know that this is the right thing for me. I can't wait to have my pump surgically implanted. Well, I hope you get relief and your pain calms down. Take care
  • Sorry you are hurting so much today, Kathy. You have company, if that's any consolation. Hope tomorrow is better for you.
  • Just wanted to say Hi and although I don't have any advice just wanted to send my gentle hugs and commiserate about the Back pain. Lately I feel as if a crocodile has been chomping its jaws in my lower back and no pills seems to tame the beast.Then I take up residence in my recliner with pills,TENS, heat packs, pillows a few tears and pray for relief.Hoping your PM doc can give you some help and quickly. Sending you all the good thoughts I can and giant gentle hugs, be kind to yourself - Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • sorry that you are is no much pain ..i do understand as i am the same way .i wish you all the luck with a SCS and hope that you are soon out of this misery that you find yourself in at the moment
  • you and i must have had the same take out meal today because we are both achin...
    i never had the trial on the scs because bones were too tight...they tried for two hours and couldnt get it in. so doc will insert it anyway after doing hemi laminectomy a week from monday. easing back pain is apparently not one of its features however. instead of us both in pain maybe we will someday talk about the relief we finally received...keep on fighting...pete
  • Must be in the air. I'm hurting too, although today is a bit better than yesterday. I broke down and took both pain meds and muscle relaxants yesterday it was so bad, which is something I rarely do. I feel so restless, though. I lay down, get up, hurt, lay back down, wander, try to work, stretch, repeat. I can't quite figure out what to do. It is so hard for me to let myself lie around. Life goes on, and I want to be part of it, but sometimes I can't. Very frustrating. I go around and around with it.

Anyway, so sorry you are feeling bad. Pain has a way of totally sapping us, both mentally and physically, doesn't it?
  • I have no advice on the SCS, but can commisserate on the pain you're having, been having exactly the same thing the past couple of days, head, neck, lower back and leg... But it is a little better today, so just wanted to say, hang in there, it will pass!! I hope that your appointment goes well, and the trial should you decide to go ahead with it!! Feel better!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Sorry to hear your hurting, Kathy. My "bad pain day" started last week Wednesday night. Everytime I think I'm feeling better---bam!!! I'm down again. I missed two days of work last week. And I HAVE a SCS. Leg pain, back pain...I'll tell you one thing it doesn't help.....pain flares!!! Whatever "old wive's tale" "humid" "barometric pressure" has been bringing us all down, the SCS won't really help alot with that. There are a few here who have had major successes with the stimulators but like the diet plans on TV when the pretty, skinny girl comes out and says" I lost 80 pounds", you'll see in small print on the bottom of the screen, "Results are not typical." Success rates with spinal cord stimulators in order of success are: 1. one leg 2. two legs. 3. legs and back. That is, IT IS better with leg pain than with back pain as it is better with neuropathic pain than it is mechanical pain. (Leg pain is usual neuropathic. Back pain is often mechanical.) This part is true and proven by many, many studies. But, as I type this, someone will come along and write, "I had leg pain AND back pain and my SCS has really helped my back pain. Here we need the disclaimer, "results not typical" meaning don't expect this yourself. Susan

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    Hi Kathy, I know it is so frustrating, but its just part of what we have to deal with.

It just takes a little bit of this, a little bit of that
    It started with a kiss now we're up to bat
    A little bit of laughs, a little bit of pain
    I'm tellin' you my babe, its all in the game of love--

You never know when and if its going to be your turn.
    We it does happen, we have two choices:

- Deal with it, figure it all and move on
    - Give into it, seek additional treatments, etc

Kathy, for us spineys, the most important things for us to do realize that this will happen and be prepared to deal with it.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Just sending some hugs to help you feel better. >:D< >:D< Hope tommorow is better for you, I understand your pain..Love, Robin
  • The thoughts and concern really help me when I feel so alone in the pain. I have been resting as much as I can, but I get stiff and have to get up and move around some too.

I am hoping tomorrow is a better day, and welcome it no matter what, if I feel pain well then I know that I am still alive !

Good night dear friends, hope you are able to get a little rest, and feel pain free at least in our dreams.

• I'm sorry you're not feeling well today. It feels bad when you can't find any relief right now. I know about the feeling of being hit by steel shoes or the elephant who walked over me feels like. Keep up with the heat and try to get some sleep. Sometimes things are better in a new day. Don't give up now! You've probably been through heck and back. II'm wishing you healing thoughts and a prayer. Take care and I hope the SCS trial helps you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • of seasons because I have had higher levels of pain for about the past week. I keep thinking that it may be time to talk to the doc about upping the meds which I really hate to do. Hope you feel better soon.
  • I think you know my ups and downs with my SCS. The trial went great but the permanent implant failed.
    I do not want to discourage anyone from having a trial with the SCS!!
    What I do want is tell people is the truth about MY SCS. The same problems I have anyone can and do have.
    Kathy, my stimulator made my low back pain much worse!! During my trial I did not have any back pain so had no idea it would not work on my low back. I do not have back pain all the time but now have it all the time since I fell.
    When I told my rep about it making my back pain worse he said ....yes, that can happen. It also tells you in my ANS booklet that this can happen. (ANS is the brand of my stimulator.)
    I know people are going to jump in here and say that the SCS worked wonders for their back pain. I am only talking about MY experience and MY back pain. I am NOT bashing the stimulator as I have been accused of doing. I am very happy for everyone who have good results from the implant.
    I believe everyone should hear both sides of the stimulator story. If all you hear is how wonderful the stimulator is, how great the reaults are from people then you are going expect the same results and could be in for a big let down.
    Because the permanent implant failed to help my foot pain the constant tingling, buzzing or pulsing or however you describe the sensation, drove me bonkers on top of the pain. I have been criticized for admiting this.
    Do not be afraid to have the trial. That is the only way you will know if it will work for you, well perhaps you will know.
    It is not for everyone and does not help everyone. It will not stop all your pain. People who have an SCS still take high doses of pain meds. Some have been able to cut down on their meds some, then some have not.
    My advice is to stop taking any pain meds during your trial. I know some people continue taking pain meds. How are you going to know how much it is actually helping?? Now this is just MY opinion. I know others will disagree with me. Just ask your Doctor what he want's you to do.
    I am also having a very rough time of it since i fell. The savage pain is back in my feet and legs and on top of that i tore my rotary cuff!! My bad knee screams at me every step I take and my back is in constant pain. It has been a nightmare!! But I keep pushing on as best I can. I am not giving up.
    Do not be afraid to have the trial Kathy. It is almost painless. Yes....you will have some back pain, but it is not that bad. Because I sleep on my back i slept in my sisters recliner. I only had a 4 day trial but if you feel you need a longer trial do not be afraid to tell your Doctor this.
    Best of luck to you dear lady.
    Sending you a hug >:D< coz I like sending and receiving hugs.
    Patsy W
  • I know it seems like all the meds in the world don't touch the pain - good luck with your SCS trial!
  • Somedays it's so hard...thank God for my kids and my new friends( and the family I have even though they just don't get it sometimes,) I know they all love me and are the strength that gives me the will to survive!!! Nothing else works like that. Not even a pill that can't even do half the job it's suppose to do. Even the scs has failed me. But you get desperate enough to try 'ANYTHING' even if the odds are against you. I think anyone should try anything for relief,if the drs think it's best for you, at least give it a shot.What you got to lose. Either it will work or it won't. Only you can figure that out for yourself. I'm feeling for you!!
    Goodluck and take care!
This discussion has been closed.