Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie with questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:36 AM in New Member Introductions
I everyone:) My issue began about a month and a half ago. I'm not sure if I injured myself working ( I'm a dental hygienist) or whether I did something at home. I woke up one morning with the oddest feeling. My legs and my feet felt numb and I had a tingling sensation going from my butt right down to my toes. I felt the strangest sensation if I tapped my hips...it felt like a rubber band snap that went from my thigh to my ankle. When I sat, it felt like my rear end was on fire and my feet felt numb. I had full range of motion. In fact, stretching actually gave me relief. I went to my PCP and he performed an EMG. The results indicated that there was a mild ( sure didn't feel mild!) nerve pinch on my right side. The left side tested normal even though I felt it on both sides. I had a really difficult time getting comfortable. Everything I did seemed to aggravate it except when I stretched. I also had an x-ray of my spine done and that did not reveal anything. I have been going to PT 1-2 times a week and things have really improved. The tingling has subsided greatly and I can sit without discomfort. I can finally feel my feet again but every now and then if I sit a certain way, it feels like the nerve in my leg is midly irritated. I am scared because I have never experienced anything like this before. I am wondering if I should request an MRI to rule out a disc problem. Is it possible that I pulled a muscle in my lower back and that caused this?? I am anxious to hear your thoughts. I don't know who else to discuss this with. I am so happy I found this forum!! Thank you all in advance:)
advertisement

Comments

• welcome to our group of pain people looking for answers. you'll probably think im crazy saying youre lucky. but really you are because your symptoms are so mild. it sounds like pressure somewhere in the spine. one good thing about getting an mri is that you get a baseline from which you can compare future mris. i doubt drs will do anything except something conservative such as physical therapy. hopefully mri will show cause of sensations and the best course of treatment can be utilized....pete
  • It sounds like your doc is taking the right steps since you are improving. I think that if something was bad enough to show on an MRI you would know it by getting worse instead of better. Statistics say that most back issues will resolve on their own with in 6 months. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by. =D> since you are feeling better and know where and how you hurt yourself i wouldn't spend the money on the MRI. :? feeling better is the best key to know you are doing something right! =D> you have seen a doctor!! keep resting, do your pt and hang at SH. :D good luck! Jenny :)
  • i carnt answer your question but i just wanted to introduce myself
    STRAKER
advertisement