Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having a microdiscectomy tomorrow and I am freaking out
any positive words of advice?

• I had a microD in Dec 07. Don't freak out. If you have confidence in your doc all will be fine. I must say that recovery was a little worse than I had expected but it is not the case for everyone. I could not Bend, Lift or twist for quite sometime afterwards. That meant no twisting to use tissue after using the restroom, not able to shower on own and things that I just did not expect. There are things to use that will help but you have to know that you need them before hand. Good luck and I hope that you wake up pain free and feeling great after the surgery. Please post and let us know how you made out when you are able.
  • I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow and all the best for a speedy recovery. I hope you wake up in a lot less pain. Let us know how it goes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Don't worry! I had this surgery in June. My ONLY regret is that I didn't do it sooner. :)

Just do exactly what they tell you to do; not bending, lifting or twisting until they say so. Lots and lots of walking too. When I read that they wanted me to walk - I thought they were crazy. Before I had the surgery, I couldn't walk 20 feet! It really does help though. Now, I walk 3 miles every day.

As far as I'm concerned, my surgeon walks on water.

You will be so glad you did :)

Best wishes,

• Hi, I had one done last week..9/4/09.. my wife and I checked in at 5 am for 7.30 surgery and I left the hospital at 11.30 am ..they said I was a good boy..lol I am 45. mine was L3 L4 after the surgery I was weak and my whole back was numb, but the next day when I woke up it was one big ouch..all of the numbing stuff thr doctor used wore off and I was very happy to have the pain meds. this lasts 4 days for me and every day gets better.. the hardest thing to do is lay in bed and get out of bed...just think happy thoughts and it will be over real fast ..Good luck and please let me know how you are ..

• I also had be surgery in June and it's the best thing I've ever done. Went hiking a few weeks ago and went 7 miles up and down hills...I never could have done that before. Just listen to the Dr's, don't try to do too much, remember that you may have several days or even a couple of weeks of no more pain and then it could flare up but that's normal and won't last long. THe first time I felt some of the old pain back I was crying my eyes out thinking it didn't work but it was gone again in a few days. It just takes time for those damaged nerves to heal. Be patient, you may feel like you'll never lift, bend or pick up anything again but that goes away as well. I couldn't lift a gallon of milk at first and now I'm back to using weights during workouts. I hope everything went great for you today. I understand your fear cause I was terrified and even cried as they wheeled me into the OR but waking up was amazing, I knew right away it was better and now know that all the pain I was living with for the last couple of years was not normal and had really been holding me back.