Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possibly a second ACDF soon

Nicole74NNicole74 Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Here is a long story shortened up.;) I went and got a second opinion due to getting the run around with old PM and surgeon. With in 20 minutes of some papers faxed over to the place where I got the 2nd opinion, PM dropped me. I recieved a phone call and they said PM won't see me anymore, this was 2 days short of a refill. Nice.

The new surgeon ordered a MRI and cat scan to see where things were at with the other two herniated discs(one above and below the fusion). I also had one more nerve block. The surgeon said if this last nerve block didn't help, he would fuse my C6-C7. He spent an entire 1 1/2 hours with me discussing all my neck issues. I see him again on Monday and will find out for sure and discuss the MRI and cat scan readings.

My old PM told me that if I were to have another fusion that it would cripple my life and he wanted to shove two leads of a SCS for pain control. This new surgeon says once everything is fixed I'll be able to go running again.

It's been 6 months since my last fusion and my C5-C6 is a 100% fused.


  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Nicole,
    Not surprising that you are experiencing adjacent joint degeneration next to
    your previous fusion. I have the same symptoms of C6-C7 since my fusion of
    C3 thru C6. Not thrilled about having it done now, just don't want to slow my
    life down at this point due to recovery time. I would disagree with your old PM, I'd be more concerned about being disabled for life not having a fusion.
    I like your new surgeons attitude, I say you will be back running also once the repairs are made. Best of luck to you and keep us posted here to what you decide.
  • Hi Nicole,
    I certainly can understand where you are coming from. I like your doctors attitude as well. Just keep in mind recovering from surgery does take sometime. As someone who has gone through 5 times now i have mounting scar tissue. I am sitting in the same boat as Ranger fused c3-c6 with c6-c7 herniated. I am playing on the conservative route right now as already have incisions right and left anterior and two posterior.
    Has the new surgeon discussed with you which approach they will be using and will he beable to use your old incision. What about your existing hardware will they be leaving it in or removing it. My fourth surgery the surgeon tried to bridge onto my hardware which ended up not working. Caused to many swallowing issues and the plate had to come out, once it was fused. Do you know what type of material the surgeon will be fusing with? You said you had issues with the level above the fusion, how bad is that level. Have you gone for a second opinion.

    I am glad you didn't take the route of the SCS on because you issues with levels and I am not sure that would have helped in your situation. Also scs are hard to implant around hardware there just isn't enough room in the cervical spine. But I am not against them by any means at all. They are great options for some. In your case though you could end with cord issues by letting something go. Good luck and keep us posted on how surgery goes. If there is anything I can help with you don't hesitate to PM me. Take care.
Sign In or Register to comment.