Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS & Urinary Urges

JwriterJJwriter Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Management
Hello Folks -

Just had a 3-lead (1 - percutaneous and 2 - subcutaneous)Medtronics trial SCS put in yesterday morning. Sleeping last night was rough, lots of pain from the lead placement procedure but the worst part was having to get-up 3 times to pee...it's very unusual for me to get-up even once at night to do so! I had the SCS set very low as to not be annoying, but I wonder if having it on over-night is even going to be possible at this rate.

Has anyone else experienced the same and does the SCS somehow stimulate the bladders function?

Thanks folks, I appreciate any help in the way of experiences and advice that you might be able to share.

• The SCS can stimulate things that you wouldn't normally think of. The only way to know for certain, is to turn it off and see if the "issue" clears up.

• They pumped you full of fluids while placing the leads?

Yes, as "C" has said SCS can affect things like that.

I don't know your pain, but for me, I turn mine off at night. With the cervical lead I find my tossing and turning from normal discomfort to be worse when I leave the SCS on. The stim changes with my head/ neck position, so instead of just rolling over in my sleep it wakes me up completely.

Try leaving the SCS off in bed. Remember the permanent leads are more stable as time passes. I may be able to sleep with mine on now. Honestly I have not tried lately, just got used to turning it off.
  • I found that over time I was able to sleep with mine if I set it lower. Then as the months passed I found myself sleeping with it on the same settings I use all day. Since my revisions and reprogramming in April, I have not had to change anything and have rarely adjusted the amplitude. It's like being "in the zone" finally.