Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

"DID YOU KNOW?" please share

jeauxbertjjeauxbert Posts: 953
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Water Cooler
I thought this might be a fun thread to share those quirky facts that people don't talk about every day.

You know, those people who are part of "the greatest generation" are leaving us more frequent now. I am sure it's because of their ages. My Dad, a WW2 Gunner's Mate in the Navy passed away in April. ER Nurse's father recently passed away as well.

The Military Burials are really something to watch. The TAPS, the saluting, the flag-folding and flag-presenting ceremony, especially the 21 gun salute. In the Navy, your rank determines how many military personnel attend your funeral. Her dad had the whole shebang. Mine only had 3 - the 2 to take care of the flag and the TAPS player (what a lonely, sad song that is when you hear it done live).

According to USHISTORY.org, in the Armed Forces of the United States, at the ceremony of retreat the flag is lowered, folded in a triangle fold and kept under watch throughout the night as a tribute to our nation's honored dead . The next morning it is brought out and, at the ceremony of reveille, run aloft as a symbol of our belief in the resurrection of the body.

The flag folding ceremony represents the same religious principles on which our country was originally founded. The portion of the flag denoting honor is the canton of blue containing the stars representing the states our veterans served in uniform. The canton field of blue dresses from left to right and is inverted when draped as a pall on a casket of a veteran who has served our country in uniform.

The flag folding ceremony is symbolic. A properly proportioned flag will fold 13 times (13 original colonies...). Each fold represents:

1 The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.

2 The second fold is a symbol of our belief in the eternal life.

3 The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks who gave a portion of life for the defense of our country to attain a peace throughout the world.

4 The fourth fold represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in times of war for His divine guidance.

5 The fifth fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong."

6 The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

7 The seventh fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.

8 The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered in to the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother, for whom it flies on Mother's Day.

9 The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood; for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great have been molded.

10 The tenth fold is a tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.

11 The eleventh fold, in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

12 The twelfth fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and Holy Ghost.

When the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, "In God we Trust."

Such fan fare; such symbolism. I love it!

OK... any one else have anything interesting, little or unknown fact they would like to share?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    The only thing I knew about the flag was that the concept and cermony was suppose to have started during the Napoleon wars.
    Never knew what each fold meant, that is neat.

The only thing I alao remember ( my father was a vet) was that the Stars are always showing at the top of the corner.... Wonder of that has anything to do with with everlasting eyes protecting
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    Jeaux, I love these types of threads. They give us all the details we need for upcoming Trivia Pursuit games. Only problem, I fall asleep before the games begin.

Ok, in 1855 in France, the Bordeaux Wine Official Classification started.
    This was used to showcase the French Bordeaux wines to the rest of the world.
    The wines were ranked from top to bottom. The First growths down to the 5th growths. Like students in grammer school and my early wine education days, I had to remember the Five First Growth Wines from Bordeaux

- Chateau Lafite Rothschild
    - Chateau Mounton-Rothschild
    - Chateau Latour
    - Chateau Haut Brion
    - Chateau Margaux

The first three are from the Pauillac (The finese and character) region of Bordeaux (my favorite) , Haut=Brion (Graves, know for gravely soil) is a Graves and Margaux (from Margaux, consider to be the Queen of the Bordeuax because of its delicate presence.

Wines coming from the First growhts demanded the highest prizes ( I did have a number of them, various vintages and the 1961 topped out at $1750.00) Over time the other growths gained in popularity mainly for the reason of cost.

But Being a First growth or a Fifth growth does not gurantee that one wine will be better than the other. Wines are very subjective, even though all the wine critics of the world hone in on the big names,in all my years in teaching wine, my feeling was always, go with your tastebuds. My wife, loves a $20 bottle of Old Vine Zinfandel from California and apprecicates that much more than a $500 bottle of any first growth Bordeaux

You will hear differnt tems when it comes to Bourdeaux. Medoc, Haut-Medoc.... its all about the region. Think of Bordeaux as the State of ABC.
    Next think of Medocs that come from within the area of ABC
    Now isolate it more to these regions that are within the area of Medoc that is within the region of Bordeaux
    These are the appellations (like townships) of Bordeaux:
    - Paulilac
    - Margaux
    - St Estephe
    - St Julien
    - Graves
    - Pomerol
    These are the major, well known appellations, but there are many more.
    French Wine labels are about the best written set of documentation about wines. They specify everything you need to know about the wine, except for COST and TASTE... That again varies. No question that a First grwoth Bordeaux is going to command a lot more money than a 3rd growth, but the labels could almost read the same.
    When I studied more about French Bourdeaux I was so shocked to find out that within the same vineyard, some grape varietals planted on ons slope do so much better than another grape grown right next to the first grape.. If take the same grape, move it 100 feet away from another planting and it can very likely have different taste structures.
    Wines , Making of Wines, Wine Pairing with Food is an art into itself... And it just happens to be one of my major compassion.

On a parting note, the moive "Bottle Shock" was an outstanding move that told the story of the Chardonnay wine from Chateau Montelena in Napa Valley, USA. In 1976, the California Wine from Chateau Montelena entered into the fabled wine tastings done in France. Up till now, French winemakers looked down to any other wine but their own. Steve Spurrier, wine critic of the day really wanted a good showing for the new California wines.
    Little did he realize that this Chardonnay from the USA took FIRST PLACE at this tasting! That sent a shock wave thorough out Europe. How could the Americans make a better wine than the French could????
    Great movie, and I cant go into any more details about why the name of the movie is Bottle Shock?

Oh gosh, just realize I wrote a novel... Any time I start talking about wines, I can go on and on and on and on

• BUT, I never knew that about the gun casings - like I said my Dad's rank didn't allow for the 21 gun salute. I think that's so awesome. I wanted to film my Dad's funeral, but couldn't get the camera to work (at the last possible minute). My sister who lives in Alaska couldn't make the funeral, and I was going to send it to her. My oldest sister used her quick thinking skills and called her so she could hear the eulogy and TAPS and "be there" without actually being there. **

Ron - all that info about the wines was interesting. I shoulda known you'd come up with something grape.

Thanks for the contributions.

** side note - my cousin's husband - LARRY - did Dad's eulogy. He's not a minister or anything - just a man of God. He'd suffered 3 heart attacks, 2 major heart operations and cancer all within the last 15 years. When Dad took sick, they both came over from TX and Larry prayed for Dad, and WITH Dad. They both said the "Sinner's Prayer" - never knew there was a specific prayer for that. Dad isn't a church goer, and we had difficulty finding a priest to officiate on GOOD FRIDAY. Especially for someone who hasn't stepped foot in church since I was baptised in '63.

Don't you know, 2 weeks after my Dad's buried, Larry and my Cousin are saying their evening prayers... He leans over to kiss her & tell her he loves her and suffered another heart attack. Only this time - they could do nothing for him.

There are 2 things to learn from this:

My cousin's final memory of her husband is of him telling her I LOVE YOU and
    Larry endured and pulled through all his medical problems because God knew my Dad was going to need him. I find this phenominal. No matter how horrid things appear, I think we are always right where we are meant to be; where we are needed.
    sorry. i kind of went off on a tangent there!
    than a military funereal. I attended one three years ago at Arlington National Cemetery. It was for one of our closet friends son. The son was in IRAQ for only 2 weeks before a mortar struck his bunker. He was shipped out to the Burn Center in Texas and lasted 5 months there.
    But to see a funeral in Arlington, it chills you up and down. There was not a dry eye in the crowd, including seasoned veterans.
    Its just one of those things. I hope never to have to go back there again for another funeral.

• Actually, these days the number of active duty personnel sent to a military funeral is dependent upon how many services are being held that day. It is sad that there are so many deaths that a full group cannot be sent to each.

What I wanted to comment on was the eulogy problem. What to do with a loved one who had Christian beliefs but hadn't stepped foot in a church in years? I knew my mom wanted some sort of religious aspect to it(I am an atheist), but who to choose without getting someone who just wants you to come to their church????

Pastoral Care(chaplain)service in the hospital had met with my parents many times. Not only did they pray with my mom and dad, but they just listened to us tell stories. This particular group considered their ministry to extend beyond the hospital and would come and officiate at services for their patients who had been in the hospital. The funeral home includes a fee for their honorarium(usually $100-150) to cover travel expenses.

Just a little FYI for those in a situation looking for help. Even tho I am not of their faith, the chaplaincy dept has helped listen so much when I needed an ear as a staff member as well as a family member.
  • Thank you for the info on flag folds.

Of all the military bugle calls, none is so easily recognized or more apt to render emotion than Taps. Up to the Civil War, the traditional call at day's end was a tune, borrowed from the French, called Lights Out. In July of 1862, in the aftermath of the bloody Seven Days battles, hard on the loss of 600 men and wounded himself, Union General Daniel Adams Butterfield called the brigade bugler to his tent. He thought "Lights Out" was too formal and he wished to honor his men. Oliver Wilcox Norton, the bugler, tells the story, "...showing me some notes on a staff written in pencil on the back of an envelope, (he) asked me to sound them on my bugle. I did this several times, playing the music as written. He changed it somewhat, lengthening some notes and shortening others, but retaining the melody as he first gave it to me. After getting it to his satisfaction, he directed me to sound that call for Taps thereafter in place of the regulation call. The music was beautiful on that still summer night and was heard far beyond the limits of our Brigade. The next day I was visited by several buglers from neighboring Brigades, asking for copies of the music which I gladly furnished. The call was gradually taken up through the Army of the Potomac."
    This more emotive and powerful Taps was soon adopted throughout the military. In 1874 It was officially recognized by the U.S. Army. It became standard at military funeral ceremonies in 1891. There is something singularly beautiful and appropriate in the music of this wonderful call. Its strains are melancholy, yet full of rest and peace. Its echoes linger in the heart long after its tones have ceased to vibrate in the air.
    - from an article by Master Sergeant Jari A Villanueva, USAF.
  • I've attended way too many, too many to care to count. The last one I attended, I was part of the honour guard, for a good friend of mine, and I haven't been able to gather the strength to attend any other since, but I honour my fallen brothers and sisters in other ways.
    In Canada, the Last Post is played instead of Taps, and there are usually pipes playing throughout the service as well. It's so haunting and chilling. Then the 3 volley salute, you could hear a pin drop in between the firing of the rifles.
    The first funeral I attended of this nature, was actually my dad's. He passed of lymphoma when I was 18. He was not military, or police, but a guard at a maximum security pen. I find it interesting how the traditions have spilled over to other areas of service, as well.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
    This past Sunday, my daugher, her roomate and I went for a 3 hour tour into Putname State Park in Redding CT. Its a sponsored event by "Wildman" The intent was to walk through the woods finding different roots, plants, berries, mushrooms that can eat and taste good.
    I was really surprise by some of the stuff.

However, when it comes to mushrooms. There are so so many wild mushrooms. And to me, there is nothing better than making a Wild mushroom Barely soup,

BUT, the guide made it look so easy, picked a mushroom, talked about its gills, if they were hollow or completed, how was the cap attached, so and so and so. He made it clear that the majority of the mushroom you pick in the forest will not kill you.... Some may make you real sick, some you will love, but still be aware there are some that will kill you with hours of eating one>

Now thats WHERE I DRAW THE LINE!

I want to be 100% of what I am eating in terms of mushrooms. Looks like I will go on another tour and read up some more
  • Back in the 80's, the family land where I lived had a cow pature. There were mushrooms growing there that when boiled just right, made for the most interesting tea.

Also, the home my ex-husband grew up in was in a neighborhood of sorts. There was a family of Asian decent living next door. When it would rain, sometimes the little mushrooms would sprout, and the "mommasan" of the family would be out there picking them. I'm guessing to use as garnish at dinnertime.

I love mushrooms! I like them in sauces, fried, stuffed, sauteed...

hey Ron - if you can find me an avatar of a mushroom, let me know. I'll change my current picture - likety split!

ERNURSE: My family is Catholic. I went to a Catholic school (I know - shocker, ain't it?) and attended mass 3 times a week, then again with Mom and a sibling or 2 on Sunday. My dad didn't come with. When he passed, my cousin's husband performed the euolgy for us. For one, the funeral took place on Good Friday. NOT A PRIEST IN AN 80 MILE RANGE WOULD OFFICIATE. So, my cousin - Larry - officiated for us. He did a wonderful job. My sisters and I drafted the eulogy and his wife added a bit. It was in my opinion, way better than a priest would or could have done.

I do believe that when it comes down to it, somehow or other we are given exactly what we need. Maybe not what we want, but usually what we need.