Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI Joint Dysfunction

I'm beginning to think this fits my symptoms, since after 2 ESI, we have ruled out a disc herniation (thanks, GP, for that senseless pain.) Has anyone been diagnosed with this? If so , what are your symptoms. I have extreme pain in my butt, hips and crotch AND down both legs. The area of both joints are tender to the touch. My pain is worse after prolonged sitting, squatting and stair climbing. My gait feels sloppy (like I'm going to fall). I'm seeing an ortho on the 28th. Just thought I would see what y'all thought.

• Is that a photo of your baby? How recently was the baby born?
  • That's really old, he's two. I just love that picture! ;)
  • I have sacroilliac joint problems. I sprained a ligament or two (or three) a while back and for the most part I have fairly chronic muscle spasms in my glutes (all of them) and the piriformis. I only get pain at the hip level from it, plus some sciatic sensations in my left leg.
    Yes, sitting down does make it hurt after a while, standing and walking about seems to help.

One of the symptoms that indicates it early on is a pretty painful spot right at the SI joint - the dimples on the small of your back. I ice before bed and that seems to be helping tremendously. Turning over in bed was a real challenge.
  • After many merry go rounds to ortho and rheumy drs. I have been told I have stenosis, narcrosis in hip, facet joint syndrome and Si Joint Syndrome. I have pain from the si joint that comes and goes in my pelvic area. I have constant ache in the si joint area of lower back and it is heaviest toward right hip. Many times pain in right joint gets bad enough I have to stop what I am doing - sitting is worse but I can't sleep on the right side, walk through the grocery store or stand for long periods of time. When I first lie down in bed at night it takes a while before I can get comfortable enough to sleep even with meds. It gets tender to the touch. Mine has been diagnosed after xray by ortho then Mri by rheumy. Pain management dr said he had never seen one quite like mine. I had bilateral injections yesterday. Should have had a driver to take me home but I did manage. Painful in most areas everywhere today! Bad headache if I move around too much and some nausea. The injection on one side hurt but it is all suppose to be for good so I am waiting to see what else is going to happen.
  • Hi Kelly, I think you are probably right on your diagnosis. I did read one source that said if you had groin pain, it was confirmation, as you don't get that with any lumbar problems.

I probably had some SI dysfunction before my fusion surgery as both joints were tender to touch. Otherwise they didn't hurt. Ortho Dr told me there was a possibility of adjacent segment disease from the fusion, but he thought the stress would go up to the L2-3 level, nothing was mentioned about possibly going down to the SI joints.

6 months after the surgery, the fusion was clearly visible on x-ray, however the SI pain started and kept increasing then too. It feels like I've got a tight girdle between the SIJs, stinging pain on the rt side, more diffuse and widespread buttock pain and groin pain on the left, stabbing pain down the back of the both thighs. I couldn't sit for more than 15 minutes, but could also feel pain with every step. Worse was turning over in bed, pure agony. Even at a year out, I still had to do the side roll to sit up which I thought meant I still had weak back muscles.

I got SI joint injections 3 weeks ago on both sides and had 4 wonderful days of NO PAIN before it returned. It is as if the pain was reset and started to come back in the same order and intensity as the first time. SIJ injections are notoriously short lived the first time.

I have a 2nd set of injections scheduled in 2 weeks. I'm really hoping they will provide longer relief since the PM Dr will only do 3 in a year. Another thing I found out is my back muscles are just fine. Without the pain, I could comfortably sit straight up from lying on my back, pick up 20 pounds and stretch overhead, no muscle weakness. I couldn't do any of that with the SI pain.

Surgery (fusion) is one option for recalcitrant SI pain. I hope it doesn't come to that for you, definitely try the PT and injections first. Surgery won't work for me since it would just send the stress from the fusion back up to the L2-3 disc which is the best one I have. My Ortho's concern is that if that disc goes, I may have to have a much longer fusion into T levels. I guess Radiofrequency nerve ablation will be my only option if the PT and injections fail.
  • HI-After going to P.T. and chiropractors for years I finally found the cure for my S.I. It's called Prolotherapy. There aren't alot of docs who even know what it is, but it's gaining popularity. It consist of 3 sets of injections in the ligaments that stabalize the si joint. The solution injected is just a glucose solvent. It works by stimulating your bodies healing response. This changed my life!! Before, I would go and get adjusted and come home, bend down and out went my si again!! Do the research, it's been around for years. I know a runner who had her acl ligament done and she avoided surgery. This is not voodoo medicine, I wouldn't believe it if it didn't help me. It is also used on bulging disc's with success. I wish you luck
  • I want to stress that prolotherapy is not a steroid injection. If this series of injections works for you it will be permanent. I still go in once every year or 2 if things start to act up for a booster shot. Don't get the steroid injections confused for these. Steroids are bad news and only a bandaid solution. Hope that helps :)