Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in New Member Introductions
hello all i am new to this so here goes. I am talking to my doctor and considering having ALIF anterior lumbar interbody fusion. my questions are about how long is the recovery for this surgery? has anyone had a positive result from this type of surgery.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am so glad you stopped by. i cannot help you with your question but i am sure someone will be by who can. i hope you have gotten your second opinion since you are considering surgery. =D> good luck with your choice! :D Jenny :)
  • I agree that you should get a second opinion and maybe even a third before opting for surgery. I am also a firm believer in exhausting all conservative options before considering surgery. Good luck in whatever you decide and please keep us posted.
  • I am 33 years old and had suffered with back problems since I was 15. I had decided that enough was enough, and my only option was a spinal fusion. It scared the life out of me, but having never had any surgery before it was quite overwhelming, I am in the UK so after waiting 13 weeks to be seen and then a further 20weeks to have mt op I had plenty of time to read all I could about the op, I read some horror stories and alo found some happy endings.
    I am now 12 weeks post surgery and I feel so much better, It hasn't been easy since the surgery and there were days when I thought that I have done the wrong thing, but there are the other days when I wished I could have had this sooner.
    You have found a great starting place here, read all you can and ask questions, thats what I did and stil do, just remember no two surgeries are the same and keep positive, best wishes
    Layla,anything else you want to know them pm me x
  • Did you find the part of the board under "Treatment" that is "Back Surgery and Neck Surgery?" You can type ALIF into the search box and you will find many posts pertaining to this procedure.

Also, you might want to read here:

This will provide some more basic information of fusion procedures.

Again, welcome.

• I'm due to have a lumbar fusion in October 09. Can anyone tell me more about the recovery and what to expect regarding the bone removal from my hip.
  • I am new also. I will have 360 fusion of Sept 29 and Oct 1. If you will scroll back to top of page to Pain forums and then click on Back, Neck surgery forums you will find more information. This is a great site for all who suffer from back pain. There are a lot of caring people here, who have had it all and willing to help. If I can help, let me know. Good luck and God Bless!
  • Hi everyone,
    Im a 37yr old female doctor and after years of stuggling with a degenerative L4/5 segment Im finally going for ALIF on Oct 29th. I was also offered disc replacement but alas no insurance coverage for that. Im really fit and active otherwise and I was wondering if any of you have been through the op and if so did it help and how long was the recovery? I live alone so I'd like to also get an idea of how much help I will need post op.
    Many thanks for you advice!