Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Certified Suboxone Physician

HollieSterling38HollieSterling38 Posts: 390
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Management
Does anyone know what a suboxone physician is? That's what this new pain management dr I'm gonna see soon is certified in, along with being a D.O.,PH??
Thanks for any info on this!

• Suboxone is a medication that can only be prescribed by doctors specifically certified in it. My guess would be that this pain management facility advertises that the doctor is certified in it because so few are. DO is a doctor of osteopathy.

A doctor of osteopathy (D.O.) is very much like a traditional medical doctor (M.D.), but receives additional training in the body’s musculoskeletal system. This training teaches D.O.s to examine, diagnose and treat the body as a whole, rather than treating a single illness or symptom. A doctor of osteopathy takes a more holistic approach to medicine by looking at the body as a complete system, instead of placing emphasis on one particular part.

I hope this helps.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Then sounds like a step ahead of last pm. The only thing is she doesn't do surgical proceedures, and since I need another ESI series hopefully she's got a hookup with someone else.... And to have this SCS removed.
    Appreciate your info.
    Isn't suboxone a drug? If so what type and does anyone ever use it? Results?
    I just want to me prepared for all this.
    Thanks for any further info you guys can give!
  • Suboxone is buprenorphine (with a little naloxone in it) for the treatment of opioid addiction. I'm taking buprenorphine, as it happens, but for for chronic pain relief, which is what the drug is originally intended for. The ones I'm prescribed are called Temgesic and come in 0.2mg and 0.4 mg strengths. They contain no naloxone. There are also patches for 3-day slow release analgesia, similar to the fentanyl patch, but these aren't available in the States, at least not yet. Dosage for opioid addiction treatment is usually something like 8-32mg, whereas for pain relief the dosage is much, much lower - the general recommended starting dose is 0.2-0.4mg, but the dose can be increased if needed to suit the individual patient (I am prescribed 0.8mg three times a day).

Buprenorphine is about 30 times as potent as morphine or oxycodone (weight/weight), but being a partial agonist it has less intrinsic activity at the opioid receptors, so in effect it is roughly the same strength (studies have shown it to be at least as effective as morphine in controlling pain). It has a very good safety profile compared to other opioids, especially regarding respiratory depression. The side effects are generally milder than with the other strong opioids, but some people find nausea is a problem (this usually fades once the patient is accustomed to the drug). It is quite long-acting (typically 6-8 hours). I've found it helpful for my pain. It's a shame the low dose tablets and patches aren't available for pain relief in the US.
  • I'm not on opoids, haven't been in over a year. So maybe she can prescribe it for pain, I have no clue yet. Glad it helps you, what level of pain are you in, that it helps u for?
  • I'm taking it for all my spine problems listed in my sig, basically. It does help with the pain, but it doesn't eliminate it. I usually have levels of around 7-8 in the mornings and after sustained activity, and the Temgesic (along with other meds and rest) helps reduce it a bit. I found it was a matter of finding the right dose and combination of medications. It brings my level down to around 3-5, generally, but it also depends on whether I'm resting. Any strenuous activity quickly brings much of the pain back, drugs or no drugs!

It sounds like maybe this doc wants to try you on buprenorphine for pain relief - as Sandi mentioned elsewhere, it seems to be a growing trend in the States. It's a pity you don't have the stuff that's formulated for pain relief over there, because it must be very difficult trying to get 0.2mg or 0.4mg from a much stronger tablet - the lowest dose of Suboxone is 2mg, I believe. That's at least 5 times the dose a patient should start on for pain (0.3mg is equivalent to 10mg morphine). It wouldn't be dangerous (although it may cause problems if the patient had been taking large doses of another opioid) but it would be likely to cause more nausea. I started out on 0.2mg after weaker drugs like dihydrocodeine and tramadol proved insufficient for relieving my pain.
  • I don't know whats in her agenda yet, hoping to get in soon. If it causes nausea I've got a pill for that,too. I'm up to trying anything other than what I'm taking now which is equivant to nothing for me. I hope she finds someway to give me more relief.
    Thanks again,hope you have a good day!
  • You're welcome, Hollie. Good luck!
  • I know nothing about the drug but am happy you are seeing an Ostopath. Ron was treated by an Ostopath and was very happy with the results. You can read his post under alternative treatment. It's very informative and a must read if you are going to be treated by one.
    Ron, I hope I have this information correct. Please forgive me if I am wrong.
    I am off to PT this morning and pain is so very bad but this is as good as it is going to get today. ~X(
    Best of luck with your new Doctor.
    Patsy W
  • please be very careful with suboxone great drug , for with drwals , some pain , but my dear son was an addict for years and they put him onit for withdrwals from herion. the dr that can prescribe kept him on it for 3 years he is clean healthy and saved by the grace of God , but he is having a heck of a time geting off it tapering only goes so far then you suffer with drwals any way ask lots and lots of questions
  • thanks! I thought when I saw that on her card I was going in fir detox. But no, she just changed my meds and couldn't believe what my spine has been through.
    Hope your son keeps doing good, it can't be a run thing to go through.